NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW starTravel for DSO

Hi,

I am sorry to ask this question but reading through the DSO imaging section of the forum , there is an article , "DSO IMGING ON A BUDGET", in the article the writer suggests that a short fast Achromat scope with a green filter will work for DSO imaging, if so then a Startravel 102 F4.9 will probably fit the bill. Has anyone tried anything along these lines?

Regards and thanks,

A.G

I was advised on going straight for ED/APO but I would be interested in what opinions are on this as in my eyes it would be a good cheap start and then be useful as a guide scope once you can afford to upgrade.

hi a.g...i have went down this line already the st102 scope is good and a nice sturdy scope and i have it on a eq3/2 pro synscan and im shure other's will come on and back me up on this..the ca on this scope is pretty bad i have not had much time on it due to the weather up here but i managed a night imaging the moon and on the brighter side it was very bad i had twin rings of ca one blue and one yellow. even when put into photoshop and other photo manipulation programs it was as they say rubbish in ...rubbish out...i am a newbee myself and work from a budget .

i have just bought the sw evostar ed80 ds pro and could not be more happier the scope looks very much like the st102 but thats about it.... the equipment with the ed80 is the clincher 2" star diagonal is massive compared to the 1.25 with the st102 and the 28mm 2" lens optics are brilliant ...please dont waste your hard earned money on the st102 for dso you will be dissapointed as i was..

i havent had the scope out at night yet but set up the finder to the main scope on sat afternoon and am hooking it up to the canon 400d..this has caused me probs because it has no live view and the light pollution does not help looking through camera finder i have invested in a few bits n peices latest is the samsung scb2000 security camera with a astronomy nose cone this is a cheap good alternative to a dslr...some like it ,,,some dont..on a budget its a very good starting point hooked up to a video gabber on a pc it will do a good job...

there are a few good fast scopes out there for dso without going for the ed80...williams scopes but value for money is the ed80 ds pro kit

:::::::::pm me and i can guide you through basic dont gets:::::::::::::

Hi

I used to use a Startravel 102 on my EQ5 Pro, guided with an SPC880/900. Some pics are in my profile (http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/25254-edjrgibbs/). I found it a relatively satisfying scope to use, nice FL and lighter than my 150p (easier to balance). Since upgrade to an HEQ5 though so sold the 105 for an 80mm guide scope on the 150p. Now all I need are some clear skies....

Ed

There are SGL users who have done some quite reasonable DSO imaging with the ST102. Far better than I thought it could be given the scope's CA, to be honest. I still think I'd try to avoid it for lunar/planetary imaging though.

James

Many thanks to you all for your advice and guidance. I have bought an OpticStar AR90S Gold Achro which has brilliant build qualityand came with a vey smooth 2" double speed Crayford focuser, optically is not Too bad either, perhaps with the benefit of a fringe killer it will get rid of most of the little CA that it ehibits on very bright objects. I will practice on this for widefield viewing and perhaps DSO imaging untill I save up for a decent APO and use this one as a guide scope or that is the plan at the moment anyway.

Regards,

A.G

Archived