Tripod leg - north or south?

For an EQ mount, does it work better to have a tripod leg facing north, or to have a 'space' facing north and a leg facing south?

I'm asking because the leg seemed to get in the way when trying to look through the polar scope - so perhaps 'leg north' would work better? I would need to move the alignment peg on the tripod over to the other hole, but that looks easy enough...

Richard

EQ6s and The new AZ EQ6 GT, Celestron AV-X and many other mounts seem to ship with the azimuth post mounted between two legs. As this is where you have to kneel to polar align using a polarscope, it makes sense to move it to its other position which is over a leg. It is then natural to point this leg to the north at the the start of a session in readiness for kneeling in the convenient gap between the other two legs to look through the polarscope.

My NEQ6 came with the peg installed for a south facing leg, so I swapped sides to leg pointing North. My AZ4 steel pipe tripod (I believe the same as the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod, has a fixed post for a north facing leg.

Thanks everyone. I swapped the peg over so I have a north facing leg, and polar alignment was MUCH easier than last night (though it probably helped that the seeing was better too, plus I worked out how to turn down the polar scope LED brightness).

Now all I need is a telescope...

Archived