Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

how do you store your dobsonian mount scope when not observing

Good Afternoon,

I have a newbie question, how do most of you store your dobsonian mount scope when you are not using it? I keep mine in the mount and move the entire thing as a whole unit. Is that the standard? Is there an issue with this? I have had issues where the two pieces that are attached to the scope (and then in turn these two pieces attach to the mount) come loose. I then need to take the primary mirror off and tighten the screws (I have had to do this twice now in the past year). If I do not tighten these two pieces there is a lot of 'play' in the scope when observing, that is, the scope is hard to keep still.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, I was the person who posted earlier (I loosened the collimination screws and not the screws that held the primary mirror, doh). SW scope, sorry what is that? I have a celestron, 8". The thought of kitchen sealant is a good idea. Thanks guys.

Yes, I was the person who posted earlier (I loosened the collimination screws and not the screws that held the primary mirror, doh). SW scope, sorry what is that? I have a celestron, 8". The thought of kitchen sealant is a good idea. Thanks guys.

SW is just the brand Sky Watcher, but you have a Celestron so that answered the question anyway! :grin:

does not matter how you store it . in one or seperate. i usually have the o.t.a sat on the dob mount with handles no tattached so i can lift of the o.t.a to take the mount into the garden then sit the tube back on outside and fit handles. it really makes no odds though.

Archived