Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focussing on Jupiter

Hi Everyone. I have had my 200p on EQ5 for over a week now and have had some enjoyable observing due to very clear skies recently. I have read here that the standard skywatcher eyepieces and barlow you get with the scope have their limitations so I got myself a new 8mm BST Explorer eyepiece. On trying it out the other night It gave me fairly good images but when I barlowed it x2 I could not resolve Jupiter or its moons - they stayed blurred. Could this be the quality of the barlow but it works ok with the 10mm eyepiece? I checked collimation the following day and both mirrors were slightly out. I have fixed them and will check again before I go observing next time. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Many thanks - Phil.

That's a good point, it may have been in focus but because its a very high magnification chances are it looked not great. I did say about about finding focus ok on a 5mm bst barlowed, but that looks so awful i never do it as the images are dim and i see so much less detail on jupiter its rubbish. Much prefer it around 150x

Archived