Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hobby Versus Family - Tips and Tricks

TonyD

My family are OK with it, my wife has given me some nifty astro related gifts and in fact bought me my first scope and my PST.

She has even given me permission to build a obsy when we move to our next house although I don't think she has any clue about the visions running around in my head about what type of obsy to build.

The kids are still a bit young but apart from them hiding daddies EPs they mean I can't really do an all nighter anymore.

Still I suppose it's all moot as I live in Belgium and you can't observe through cloud and rain. The best way to keep your family happy is to never get a chance to get the scope out in the first place.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son had been down the pub with his mates a few weeks ago. When I eventually decided to come in from the back garden, on one of those rare cloudless nights, I discovered that he'd very thoughtfully locked me out when he came home. Fortunately he was still sober enough to hear me ringing his mobile!

Know what you mean, my wife did this for the first time recently. Gentle knocking escalted to banging front door and ringing bell. Not good at 3 am. No harm done I suppose. It was worse for herself than me I'm sure.

Barry

I bought my wife a lawn mower once. That's been a source of amusement for many years! :laugh:

Me too. My wife asked for something 'for the garden' for her 30th. Blimey, I thought, it is her 30th so I'd better make it a biggun and bought her a Hayter. 12 years later, it's still going strong, so it was good vaue too. :)

Russell

If we distill this combined wisdom, then I think the key skills are:

1. Discretion (if you don't ask, I won't tell).

2. Natural Charm (a little goes a long way).

3. Attention (and plenty of it when not observing).

4. Ninja style tear down and return to bed),

5. Keep your hands to yourself (at least until properly acclimatised) .

Alternative strategies might involve changing hobbies - worth doing the sums so that a full and proper TCH (total cost of hobby). Golf, posh fishing (salmon / carp), motosport, pilots license, professional poker ........

To be honest now I've given up my skiing, diving, motorcycles, boats, rockets and trains - I have only two interests/activities outside of work and the astronomy is the cheaper by a long way ;)

Me too. My wife asked for something 'for the garden' for her 30th. Blimey, I thought, it is her 30th so I'd better make it a biggun and bought her a Hayter. 12 years later, it's still going strong, so it was good vaue too. :)

Russell

Mine was only a Flymo,thought it would be easier for her to handle :grin: . Can't remember but I'm sure I got her something nicer to go with it, don't think it was a rake!

When it comes to a rare clear night in this this country if ya lass or fella is going to moan at you for taking your scope out I think ya probably in the wrong relationship... :lipsrsealed:

As for buying gear I'd just compare wardrobes if there was a problem, I think I could fit all my clothes in a fridge, shoes and all.

I have a feeling me and my lass are going to be calling it a day soon................yay more time for observing :grin:

Back on topic - I always try to have a source of alternative income to pay for my toys. I figure that if my day job wages pay the mortgage, bills, put food on the table, then anything I earn during my own time in the evening, is mine to fritter as I will.

Another, slightly more mercenary tactic, is to simply get your nearest and dearest to put money into FLO (or similar) vouchers for Xmas and birthdays. No single one of them is going to buy toys at the level I'm prepared to spend, but together...

As for the time involved, we find it's seldom an issue. She needs to sleep about 10 hours a day, so she's normally in bed by nine. Astronomy came as a relief for her as my main hobby is hi-fi and home cinema and that ain't exactly quiet!

Russell

Archived