Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

meade lxd55

sparkyjon

hello have an opportunity to purchase one of these mounts it has the autostar..my last encounter with autostar wasnt great i had the smaller handset on a ds-2114 and it blew up on me....

i can see from the pictures and internet write ups that the tripod isn't up to much, although it shows the set up holding a 10" newt :Envy: , now i'm not finding any real specs about this mount and tripod but the general consensus is 30lb payload.

the tripod it's self doesn't really come up as much of an issue as i'm going to be using this mount on a fixed pier, although for meets it would be handy so i suppose the payload does matter..

it will possibly be holding (if i still have it) a celestron c8 with telrad and 9 x 50mm finder scope if that sells it will more likely be a 127mak and a tal 110mm.... anyone else think i'm pushing it on the weight limit with the c8 sct...??? and does anyone have this mount and tripod is it any good... it will mainly be used for viewing but some webcam imaging is also on the cards..

It's the mount ID but the scopes that were supplied on it seem to have been labeled with the mount ID too.

The LXD55's I've seen have had aluminum tripod legs and would not have held a 10" scope, or even a 5" F/9.3 refractor, very steady even for visual use. If you can get one on a steel tube tripod then it would be around the same stability as an EQ5 I reckon. I've read mixed views on the LXD55 GOTO systems. The LXD75 seems to be a more stable and capable mount with a higher load capacity - more like a Celestron CG5 possibly. I've run a 6" F/8 refractor on a CG5 and it was good enough for visual use.

I think the C8 would be a bit too much for the LXD55. The other scopes might be OK though.

LXD55 is a series based around the LXD55 mount. (In the same way Celestron Nexstar SE series are based around the SE mounts)

Get a CG5 or EQ5 if you can afford it. According to information on the internet, LXD55 is based on the older discontinued Synta EQ4. It used plastic gears and bearings so it has longevity issue. Thus buying an old and used LXD55 is not recommended.

The newer LXD75 has a lot of internal upgrades and is equivalent to a EQ5/CG5.

I have just bought an LXD75 after carefully reading up about the differences between them.

I have only managed one night before I blew up the autostar (entirely my fault), but I can vouch that the LXD75 is Very stable. The bigger tripod legs make such a difference, even on relatively unstable ground such as grass.

I think a 55 would struggle with a 10", the 6" + ST80 is prob at the limit of being sturdy for the 75.

OK things have changed slightly i am now keeping the c8 , I'm still hunting down a tal 110 as i would like a newt for quick viewing and fixing the pier outside my summer house.. so I'm also looking for a goto mount for webcam imaging with the c8 not really minding about the legs of the tripod as most of the time the mount and scope will be on the pier.

so the lxd55 wouldn't be a good choice for the c8 , i really don't fancy the eq-5 or have the funds for one with goto if I'm truthful i have had a eq-5 and didn't like the size and weight of it.. i was hoping the lxd55 would handle the c8 ,

would an eq-3 pro be sufficient ?looks like I'll have to save a little or wait for one to pop up on the second hand market..

I have just bought an LXD75 after carefully reading up about the differences between them.

I have only managed one night before I blew up the autostar (entirely my fault), but I can vouch that the LXD75 is Very stable. The bigger tripod legs make such a difference, even on relatively unstable ground such as grass.

I think a 55 would struggle with a 10", the 6" + ST80 is prob at the limit of being sturdy for the 75.

just noticed you blew your autostar up to, any idea what you did as i had a smaller 494 handset it showed motor fault then suddenly it went through a test mode were you had to press a sequence of buttons once it was done it said autostar test done, and that was it nothing else would happen stuck on that screen..

this is the reason i'm loathed to buy anything meade, in my opinion from what i've read and seen meade aren't as good as their name projects..

there we go i scrapped the meade ldx55 i couldnt hack having the auto star my head just doesnt trust it,,

i have bought an eq-3 mount new and i'll put the dual axis motors on it for now,until i can afford a goto system,

only thing i wont be able to do is use my laptop to control it. i'll just have to be happy with getting images off my laptop..

there we go i scrapped the meade ldx55 i couldnt hack having the auto star my head just doesnt trust it,,

i have bought an eq-3 mount new and i'll put the dual axis motors on it for now,until i can afford a goto system,

only thing i wont be able to do is use my laptop to control it. i'll just have to be happy with getting images off my laptop..

If you have the LXD55 already, you can just remove the Autostar and replace it with EQ5 dual axis motors. After all it is just a Synta EQ4(/5) with Meade motors and controllers.

C8 is at the limit of what a EQ5 can handle, so a EQ3-2 won't be sufficient.

i didnt go ahead with the meade lxd55 i dont trust the auto star system and after reading a few reviews it didnt appeal, it's loud plastic cogs and this example wasnt up to standard needed a bit of tlc,

i have how ever bought the EQ3-2 it seems it's not good enough for the c8 so i'm afraid the c8 will have to go and i'm going to buy a 127 mak to go with the EQ3-2 as i'm skint and cant afford a better mount.. shame as i've battled to keep this scope..never mind i'm sure the 127 will be fine for what i want to do ..

look out on the classifieds lol

I would give the C8 a go on the EQ3 before you decide to part with it, you may find it suitable for visual. :smiley:

lol dont say that now , the only thing is i do have motors for the eq-3-2 would they handle the weight , i will give it a try , the thing is i'm looking to do webcam imaging , and i can see the additional weight of a telrad , a flip mirror diagonal and my zoom EP being the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak..

I've used a vanilla (non-pro) EQ3-2 with a 150p and a dslr or zoom ep, (so weight was about 6kg) - your C8 weighs about 5.7kg and the webcam will be only a few grams so you will be at around 6kg as well. You probably won't be using the zoom ep and the webcam at the same time

Although not massively sturdy, it did a decent job with the legs not extended, so give it go :smiley:

By the way, I think you did the right thing not going for the LXD55. I almost got one but managed to get an LXD75 in the end and am very glad I did. It is well worth the extra £30 or so second hand (for the tripod alone!) and my 150p is handled much better than on the EQ3-2.

yes after reading a few reviews and that it has plastic gearing and the fact it had been in storage in a garage and i could see a rusty locking bolt , the price didnt reflect it's condition..

i've had an eq-5 and just couldnt stand it , it was too heavy and bulky, with a messed up ankle i couldnt be doing with it, the eq3-2 is the only option for a compromise with an eq mount, although in the next few weeks i'm hoping to have a tal 110mm with a pier , and i'm looking into swapping the c8 for a 127 mak goto so could have a feww options lol..

Archived