Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which CCD ?

gingergeek

Olly,

Yes, I'm somewhat miffed by William Optics, I bought the ZS71 based on it's size/field of view/cost, the pictures generated by Martin_h and not blinded by the scope bling. If I knew anyone at Williams Optics I would be explaining to them how to correctly design components.......it's not rocket science !

Now I'm trying to find a way to secure the FR in the tube without sagging, some people have suggested creating a shim to support the FR.

GG :angry1:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm trying to find a way to secure the FR in the tube without sagging, some people have suggested creating a shim to support the FR.

Try some plumbers PTFE tape or maybe black electrical tape - only a single thickness. PTFE is what I have done in a similar situation and it works well. You can get the type for water (white) and type for gas (yellow) which is thicker. I find the one for water is fine. You need to replace it every few weeks - a ten second job. Sure should't have to do this but, eh, that's life...

Have you discussed the problem with the retailer you bought it from?

It may well be a faulty focuser, even if its not and they're all like that I'd still give them a call as its not fit for purpose.

I've owned two WO scopes and used three and not had a problem as severe as yours. The focusers aren't perfect but I've seen far worse on other commercially available scopes.

Martin_h also told me his sags and he uses a foil shim, it's not a faulty scope it's just poor design. I will try the various shim methods and experiment but William Optics scopes I will avoid in future unless the model and components have been well trodden by others before me.

Hi all,

Hopefully some progress ! underneath the focuser is a small screw that I expected to be related to the RP focuser track but on removing the focuser tube compression tube I noticed a small hole and the grub screw !! Using a screwdriver the grub screw did indeed push up against the compression ring but totally useless for those of use who tear down each night and the screw is inaccessible when mounted on a dovetail bar. So I replaced it with a bolt that allows me to easily tighten it with fingers .... YAY .... gingergeek makes a happy face.

So if the weather holds and the wind dies down a little I will spend the evening doing a run on a Hydrogen Alpha subject, I still need to do a final check on my total lens to sensor distance but I feel a tad better now.

GG

Archived