SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Holmes, my first light

One word.... Fascinating

Was very impressed as to how bright it is to the naked eye forming a distinctive triangle with Mirphak and another star. At the same time kind of disappointed that it simply looks like a star so not easy to impress non-astro buffs without bins.

Out with the bins first... Wow! fantastic sight. Like an excited child not 30 seconds later I am already lugging my dob base out of the shed. The view through the dob in 32" EP was fantastic. A nice large object. The 25mm (48x mag) seemed to hit the sweet spot and it was just a haunting object to gaze at. Could see the off-centre nucleus and background star as everyone else has described. Such a well defined sphere it's uncanny.

This seems to be the conversation of the day with friends and workmates....

Me: "It's a very strange sight for a comet as it has no tail"...

Friend: "Does that mean it's coming our way and could hit Earth?"

Me: :smiley:

Vega

One word.... Fascinating

Was very impressed as to how bright it is to the naked eye forming a distinctive triangle with Mirphak and another star. At the same time kind of disappointed that it simply looks like a star so not easy to impress non-astro buffs without bins.

Out with the bins first... Wow! fantastic sight. Like an excited child not 30 seconds later I am already lugging my dob base out of the shed. The view through the dob in 32" EP was fantastic. A nice large object. The 25mm (48x mag) seemed to hit the sweet spot and it was just a haunting object to gaze at. Could see the off-centre nucleus and background star as everyone else has described. Such a well defined sphere it's uncanny.

I could have written nearly exactly the same words and not spoken a lie. Except for the dob bit. I found it naked eye, then got out the binos :shock: and was too impressed not to lug out the scope and get further in. But I must say - a superb object for binos. I pumped up the mag to 150x and was a bit disappointed how little detail I could see... until I realised I was looking through a thick cloud :shock: It did look pretty good later when the cloud passed, but definitely most pleasing at a lower mag.

Andrew

Agreed with that Vega, absolutely fascinating. having seen a few comets over the years, this one is so different and amazing.

I have been fortunate here too be able to have a look each night since the news broke only in the 10 X 50 bins. I have been amazed at how big it is, but tonight the dob came out, and in the 40mm EP i could make out an outer halo beyond the definite shell, this appeared to fill about 2/3rds the FOV. Anyone else noticed this.

naz

Just had my first view of this wonderful looking comet. Finally got my 8 inch scope out after some time and decided to try and take a look. Even with the fireworks going of all around me, and smoke billowing into the air, the view through my 9*50 finder was breath taking. Viewing it with my 32mm eyepiece, just astounded me. At first glance, it just looked like an out of focus star, but with more patience, more and more detail was visible. After 15 minutes, I decided to pack in for awhile, until the fireworks had finished. Hopefully, the clouds won't roll in on me, or the sky be filled with the left over smoke. :D

Hi all - I got my first look at Holmes last night using an 80mm short tube refractor. Also very good with the naked eye and 10x50 binos. I was impressed. At all magnifications the sight was impressive, but particularly good with eps in the range 6-15mm (Plossls). Using averted vision the comet appeared very bright, with a clear nucleus and well defined halo. I thought it was impressive, and to be able to see it with the naked eye so clearly, even in a light polluted sky was great.

Ed

Archived