NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stupid stupid Sharpcap...arrgh!

emadmoussa

So, Spent a couple of hours capturing evey inch of the moon using Sharpcap and Xbox webcam hooked to my 200p...for the first time ever I managed to capture highly detailed videos of the Sea of Tranquility and also inch by inch scan of its surrounding. I captured 12 videos.

I walked inside, braced myself for a long night of "fun" video editing, and image study...Then...opened the folder...and...guess what?! Not a single video available...Aahhhhhhh! I'm so crossed .. :( Stupid software...It wasn't recording...even though it looked like it was. Probably a bug and requires reinstalling...

Well, what a waste of time!

Oh, one thing I meant to ask you, Dan. I noticed you've got Point Grey Firefly Mono. I have to say the images are stunning. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost if I may ask??

I'm expecting my Canon 1100D this week, then I'll ditch the Xbox webcam and start a new era of highly detailed astro imaging...hopefully this time I won't lose them into the ether :)

I have never known SharpCap behave as you suggest, so I'm sure the capture files will be somewhere. If you didn't give them a specific name then they'll be saved with filenames starting "Capture", so you could try searching the hard drive for files starting with that string?

James

I have never known SharpCap behave as you suggest, so I'm sure the capture files will be somewhere. If you didn't give them a specific name then they'll be saved with filenames starting "Capture", so you could try searching the hard drive for files starting with that string?

James

Done that, James. I used the same method yesterday and it was OK.

Aahhhhhhh! I'm so crossed .. :( Stupid software...It wasn't recording...even though it looked like it was. Probably a bug and requires reinstalling...

Well, what a waste of time!

Shocking, be sure to demand a full refund.

Sorry, but these things happen and I'm sure sharpcap's developer would be interested to hear of your problem - though publicly decrying his work as stupid is probably not the best way of going about things.

Chris

So, Spent a couple of hours capturing evey inch of the moon using Sharpcap and Xbox webcam hooked to my 200p...for the first time ever I managed to capture highly detailed videos of the Sea of Tranquility and also inch by inch scan of its surrounding. I captured 12 videos.

I walked inside, braced myself for a long night of "fun" video editing, and image study...Then...opened the folder...and...guess what?! Not a single video available...Aahhhhhhh! I'm so crossed .. :( Stupid software...It wasn't recording...even though it looked like it was. Probably a bug and requires reinstalling...Well, what a waste of time!

Bit unfair for you to ridicule the SharpCap author who supplied it to you free in the SGL thread title when that title applies to you :p for not testing the settings etc before arriving at your scope :rolleyes: . I think it's a brilliant piece of s/ware. :grin:

Depends on thee version of Windows of course, (but for 7) - Go to My Computer and in the top right is a small box with SEARCH COMPUTER > type in there *.avi and then hit enter or click the 'magnifying glass' symbol. This will seach your hard drive for all AVI files and then if they are on there in some obscure folder, you will be able to see where.

Depends on thee version of Windows of course, (but for 7) - Go to My Computer and in the top right is a small box with SEARCH COMPUTER > type in there *.avi and then hit enter or click the 'magnifying glass' symbol. This will seach your

hard drive for all AVI files and then if they are on there in some obscure folder, you will be able to see where.

Unfortunately, that's what I did. Files just gone.

Can you not open it up now and check the settings to see where it is saving it?

At the very least even if you have lost the files you can set it up to save the avis where you want and test that it will work.

Archived