NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh for flumps sake, there is always something

jabberwocky

Just put my 30mm ES in my scope for the first time and it doesn't fit. Grrrrrrr!

i replaced the original 2" adapter with a shorter extension tube to allow for a twist lock adapter which added length and meant I couldn't reach focus with an eyepiece. The barrel of the ES seems longer than normal and is too long to fit into the adapter, by about 5 mm.

So do I

a, accept it doesn't go all the way in and as long as it reaches focus leave it as it is. This will bug the hell out of me.

b, ditch the extension tube and twist lock and go back to using the 2 original adapters. They are horrid and mark eps.

c, pray that the 2 naglers which are my only 2 1 1/4 eps reach focus with the original adapter + twist lock and then buy another extension tube the same length as the original adapter but has a compression ring. Probably what ill do.

d, swear a lot and mumble to myself asking why oh why isn't anything ever simple. I have in fact already done this.

I have fitting problems with some of my eyepieces. With having a few scopes I find some Televues are difficult to fit to SW adapters and Televue diagonal , it is always the 2 inch ones, they fit but it's tight, Meade 2 inch eyepieces are no problem. If you don't get them just righ it is a pain. The SW 190 focus system is in my books awful, it is for the bin and a Moonlite will be fitted

I can understand that you have just spent money on the 30mm and then can't use it as you want, I would be miffed too.

are you saying that the eyepiece goes in and is secure but that 5mm of the drawtube can be seen when the eyepiece is in the adapter? if so I'd just forget it and use the eyepiece. if everything else works and the eyepiece is in no danger of dropping out then it's not a problem? I put a Baader 28mm fine tuning ring on my 13mm Ethos to protect the field lens which is a little exposed I felt. this means that it projects a little out of the focuser but it's the view inside I am bothered about not the view outside.

post-5119-0-91446000-1360914102_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-84352900-1360914130_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-14359100-1360914159_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-61145600-1360914185_thumb.jp

Moonshane, yes the ep goes in the focuser but as the barrel is quite long it doesn't go all the way in and 5mm of barrel is left showing.

i used it for the first time last night and to be honest, the ep is perfectly secure and reaches focus so I'm just going to leave it as it is, in the dark you can't see it anyway, and as you say it's the view inside that counts but it bugs the perfectionist in me.

great ep, but very heavy on a dob. I dread to think what the 31 nagler is like on a dob.

Archived