Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just installed a pier bought from second hand sale at Kielder

Hi all,

After finding a bargain priced heavy duty second hand pier for £65 quid at the Kielder Star Party, I have been breaking my back to get it installed. I dug a 3 ft by 15in hole and filled it full of concrete last weekend with 4 bolts set in it. Whilst letting it dry this week I have been searching the web for the best method of attaching my Orion Sirius EQG (HEQ5 clone) Mount as well as my Meade LX90. I decided on a modular system of adapter plates made by Epsilon Telescopes (www.epsilon-telescopes.co.uk). This consists of an adapter tube mounted on the top of the pier and two adapter plates for my scopes. This system is an alternative to a traditional owls nest and is much easier to use when locating the 10" sct. The pier adapter is first bolted to the bottom of the fork mount, the scope is then lowered onto the pier and then is bolted to the pier adapter tube by 3 allen bolts on it side.

Heres a pic of the LX90 mounted on it.

2058_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards,

Kevin

Well that looks solid enough Kevin, but how would you attache a wedge should you ever decide to go equatorial?. Maybe you don't anticipate ever doing/ that. Nice littte area beneath your feet. All you need now is an observatory tent to go over it all and enclose you in.

Are you geared up for imaging ?

Ron.

Edit: Sorry Kevin, I should have read your sig. first and would not have needed to ask the last question. :smiley:

Well that looks solid enough Kevin, but how would you attache a wedge should you ever decide to go equatorial?. Maybe you don't anticipate ever doing/ that. Nice littte area beneath your feet. All you need now is an observatory tent to go over it all and enclose you in.

Are you geared up for imaging ?

Ron.

Edit: Sorry Kevin, I should have read your sig. first and would not have needed to ask the last question.

Yes m8, you are correct my nick name is in reference to imaging.

Epsilon are designing a wedge to fit on the pier adaptor tube and when funds permit I may get one. In the mean time I will be using my Sirius EQG mount and 80mm APO and 102mm Achromat for imaging. Its still possible to get some decent shots in Alt/Az mode with the Meade before field rotation becomes too great.

Heres a few pics taken last year with my DSI CCD.

2061_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2062_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards,

Kevin

Archived