Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap Guide Scope.

Hi,

I am looking at getting myself a cheap guide scope to go with my newly aquired StarShoot AutoGuider and was wondering what people think of the Celestron Travelscope 70. It looks quite quick at f5.7 or so and is nice and small as I am maxing out weight wise on my CG5-GT mount.

I know the Skywatcher Startravel 80 is a popular scope but I was wondering what people thought of the Travelscope 70? I have seen a few for sale on the bay and at half the cost and below of the Skywatcher.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions. :grin:

Almost any cheap scope will do if it has a 1 1/4" eyepiece fitting and at least 60mm aperture. The ST80 is popular because it's short and light and has a nice 80mm lens. To be honest it's a bit overpriced (I think the manufacturer has cashed in on it's popularity as a guide scope) it should really be about £50-£60 I reckon and not £90+ for just the OTA!!

I was actually thinking of a 50mm finderscope before I got the StarShoot AutoGuider. I was going to use a web cam as the guide cam.

Would a 50mm finderscope give enough fov to find a star bright enough to use as a guide star though? I suppose being as short as they are they would be pretty fast scopes so the image would be bright despite the smaller aperture.

Is there a finderscope that anyone would recommend for guiding?

Archived