NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

No filter replacement Modded DSLR's and lenses that achieve focus.....(Shall we compile a list between us..?)

stan26

Hello guys, I have an idea , not sure if it's a good one and if this thread justifys being a "sticky" but I think it will benefit DSLR users on SGL.... i'll let you decide...

There has been quite a bit of discussion on here just recently and various other forums/websites across the net with regards to what camera lenses can achieve infinity focus with a modded DSLR, particularly with regards to Canon DSLR's which have had the rear colour balance filter (lpf2) removed without a clear/IR cut replacement.

There seems to be a fair amount of confusing / missleading infomation, mixed in with the "facts" with regards to this apparent problem.

I for one would like to know exactly which lenses will work with my Canon 500D with rear filter removal. I was thinking of buying a "nifty fifty" 50mm f1.8 lens, but I hear this can't be brought to focus..

SO, between us, I'm sure we can share our "focusing" experience's and compile a list of what works and what dosen't.....

!! MODIFIED DSLR'S WITHOUT FILTER REPLACEMENT !!

I Shall start with mine

Canon 1000D, 450D, & 500D'S with there rear (LP2 colour balance filters) removed, can achieve infinity focus with......

Canon 18-55 kit lens

Canon 55-250 IS lens

Canon 200 L F2.8 lens

Canon 70-200 F2.8 L lens

Canon UWA 10-22 lens

Feel free to add to the list......

Regards

Stan. :smiley:

Canon 350D - Filter Removal Only

Lenses that DO Focus to Ininity...

Soligor 300mm Prime 2.8FL

Canon 35-80EF II USM 2.8FL

Lenses that do NOT Focus to Infininty...

Canon 50mm II 1.8FL "Nifty Fifty"

I have found that placing a 1.25in filter into the recess of the nifty fifty lens then infiity focus is achived. See my other thread in this forum for details.

Thanks for the replies folks, it seem's the nifty fifty is the little trouble maker among the EF lenses, but its nice to know it can be brought into focus with a filter, and also interesting that a 1.25" filter will fit in the rear? of the lens, this can also be done on the 200 L 2.8 prime. I use a 1.25" skywatcher LP filter in mine.

Would be interesting to know if the f1.4 50mm will focus....?

Stan

• 1 month later...

I have a modded Canon 350d (no filter). My experiences...

Lenses that focused w/o issue: Canon 300mm f/4, Sigma 28mm f/1.8

No focus at infinity: Canon 50mm f/1.8 :-(

Nikon manual lens conversions (50mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.5) have worked well for me, but as I recall I had to open the front of the lens and remove the infinity-stop screw. It's pretty simple to remove the screw with old lenses.

Doug

All my lenses are Pentacon manuals, they all focus to infinity on the modded 1000d, with and without clip filter. I have a 50mm 1.8 but ive exiled it from the group because it is so tricky to focus with that cheapo focus ring, I just never got on with it.

Archived