Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC4038 & 4039

fwm891

Great night last night, clear down to the horizon although there was some turbulence which made guiding tricky.

This image is of ngc4038 & ngc4039 a pair of interacting galaxys. There 100 minutes of lumin only data using a Baader Lumin filter in an SX usb filter wheel. MN190 scope controled via EQMod and CdC.

Checking this morning and note that the final subs were imaged through the outer branches of a tree! - well it was very low...

post-14748-0-94865200-1360229828_thumb.j

Would extra subs help with the noise? There's really quite a lot there. There's also a horizontal line just over two thirds up, would flats help with this? Or was it the tree branches? What length subs did you use? I ask as I personally think that the luminance channel is oversaturated.

Hope that helps, I'm having a crusade on being as honest as possible about the images that I look at!

Sara makes some good constructive points...

But, having just checked upon it's position - that's GREAT going!

Forget trees, I'm not sure that would clear the back fence!

Well done for having a crack at such a low down/difficult target!

Clear skies,

Damian

Brilliant capture! :) That is SOOO LOW - just found it on my chart. You must have stayed up late Francis. I'd love to catch that one :) Still, I had a good night once the clouds cleared about 7pm until about 2am.

Would extra subs help with the noise? There's really quite a lot there. There's also a horizontal line just over two thirds up, would flats help with this? Or was it the tree branches? What length subs did you use? I ask as I personally think that the luminance channel is oversaturated.

Hope that helps, I'm having a crusade on being as honest as possible about the images that I look at!

Hi Sara, I used 900 second subs but this got less than 10° above my horizon. Not only did I end up imaging through the trees but also across roof tops lower down in the village. I have top say I was amazed to get anything that far down.

Brilliant capture! :) That is SOOO LOW - just found it on my chart. You must have stayed up late Francis. I'd love to catch that one :) Still, I had a good night once the clouds cleared about 7pm until about 2am.

Thanks Gina. It was a late one last night, finished off about 03:00 AM when I closed the obsy. Started about the same time as you on M1, then more data on the Leo Trio which is when while browsing CdC I found these two. Once I had the RGB on Leo I dropped down more in hope than anything else. Great night, need more of them.

Archived