Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ2 Lenses

Hi my names Craig. I’ve been doing astronomy for the past couple of years and I’ve just bought my self a Skywatcher EQ2 reflection telescope I would like to know if it’s possible to buy additional lenses for it. That would enable me to take a look at celestial body’s and objects in more detail. If any of you could let me know I’d be very grateful. I’ve been spending a lot of time watching Jupiter and would very much like to see it in a little more detail.

There are more eyepieces to choose from than you could possibly imagine, in a range of prices capable of emptying anyone's wallet :)

It would help to know exactly which telescope you have (aperture & focal length) and which eyepieces you already have.

James

I'm pretty sure it's an focal length. it's longer than the EQ1 if that helps. I've looked threw the paper work that came with it and it doesn't say. The senses it came with are 1 super 25 wide angle lence, 1 super 10mm lence and a barlow lence.

The EQ1 or EQ2 refers to the mount, not the telescope. There are quite a few different telescopes sold on EQ1 and EQ2 mounts. For example:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130m.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

Do you have a link for the one you bought?

James

The way things work out I think the eyepieces you have together with the barlow fit quite well with the scope. If anything I'd be tempted to split the gap between them with a 15mm or something around that. The BST Explorer/Starguider eyepieces as sold by Sky's The Limit are supposed to be good value for money. The 10mm kit eyepiece that you have doesn't have the best reputation in the world, so if yours is clearly poor it might be tempting to replace that.

James

I have the same scope, although it doesn't get used much anymore, 5 mm is as high a mag as you can push it, I'd go for a lower mag eyepiece first, say 32mm for widefield views, you will only use the 5mm on the moon and planets whereas a32mm is a great deep sky object hunter

right ok. so a 5mm would be good for watching Jupiter and would it be ok for nebulars and galaxies once i locate them, for a closer look? sadly i've spotted many celestial objects and body but there true beauty has so far been hidden from me and i would very much like to see there true colours

Hi craig,

Sadly the colours we see in these wonderful images of nebulae are not going to be seen through an eyepiece (lens). these are only visable in pictures made with multiple long exposure images stacked together with special software. more detail can be seen with more apeture ( bigger scope) but obviously this comes at a cost. your scope however will give you wonderful views of planets, nebulae such as orion nebula (M42), open and globular clusters. If you haven't already, download a free piece of software called stellarium which will show you where all these wonders are. hope this helps

try to understand that the views you see on the net are not what we see through the ep.

Scott

yeah i understand what you're saying. the objects i'm most interested in seeing are the planets i know i won't get a very clear image like on the net but one of my books does say that i might be able to identify colours and bands on Jupiter for example witch is what i would like to active. as for the computer program you've mentioned i've a program called star calc which i use a lot. would stellarium be better? the other thing i would like to know is what brand of lence would be best?

Hi Craig, if you are after a bit more magnification I would suggest an 8mm BST from Sky's The Limit, which would give you 81x, which is a pretty satisfying magnification for planets and your particular telescope. A 5mm would give you 130x which is the optimum magnification for the scope, however, the 8mm would get used more often in my opinion. For the larger objects (DSO's) that you have suggested you need low power, not magnification, so your 25mm will serve you well in this instance.

I had a few other lenses when I bought mine second hand - a 10mm spare, a 12.5mm, 32mm and 40mm eyepieces. I hardly bother with them, using only the 25mm and 10mm Skywatcher eyepieces. The barlow gives you 4 magnifications with just these 2. I'd suggest getting a 32mm if you want to buy something extra.

yeah alot of people have been suggesting wide angle lenses. I'm sertanly going to buy a wide angle lence with advice I've had. I'm wanting a close angle lence so i can try have a closer look at the planets. I'm now torn between an 8mm lence or a 5mm. I've seen some kits with both wide angle and 8mm or 5mm depending how they work the sizes

Archived