Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another pier build....

Bigdaddyjeff

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back out in the garden today,decided to make the adapter plate and mounting plate out of kitchen worktop...yes another material i had lying around in the shed :grin:

post-10991-0-14520300-1360685318_thumb.j

Top plate adapted to take the mount,30mm centre hole then 65mm hole around that sunk into the worktop around 3mm

post-10991-0-92210600-1360685429_thumb.j

Mount just about to fit into place

post-10991-0-61505100-1360685695_thumb.j

Screwed rod sunken into the concrete then levelled upright...well as best as possible anyway!!

Will leave it a few days to set now then get back out and hopefully get set up for the very first time......and thats a whole different problem :shocked:

Nice going Jeff!

I wonder though, what are you going to use on the wooden top to preserve it?

As for the leveling, I would expect that to be critical in a pier, or are there ways around it (those 4 big nuts on top perhaps?)

Started thinking of a pier myself, when we build the second floor in our house, I was thinking of adding a concrete column out in the top level balcony or perhaps the roof of the second floor... :)

Nice going Jeff!

I wonder though, what are you going to use on the wooden top to preserve it?

As for the leveling, I would expect that to be critical in a pier, or are there ways around it (those 4 big nuts on top perhaps?)

Started thinking of a pier myself, when we build the second floor in our house, I was thinking of adding a concrete column out in the top level balcony or perhaps the roof of the second floor... :)

Hi Centus

The wooden top is actually laminated top on the top and the underside and i also have some edging to stick to the sides all around so should protect most of it but it will be covered over whenever not in use and only in use when it's dry. The levelling can be done by the nuts on the top and the set immediately underneath the top plate too but again,having researched into these builds some people firmly beleive the top mount doesn't have to be sop on in regards to levelling, although i will level mine just for piece of mind.

I think the second level of a house being built should definately merit a pier mount :grin:

Nice one Keith,i'm a firm believer in making use of the things that you have to hand or you can obtain for as cheap as chips......and if it works then stick with it :grin:

I'm looking at alternatives to the deep foundation. I live in a rented place, and so digging a it hole and filling with concrete is not really an option! I a lady have a concrete hard standing thing at the end of the garden, and was wondering if I could just drill a few holes and make some sort of non-permanent pier.

Hmmmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dont know a great deal about piers, but I know a fair bit about building, you'd have to have holes drilled pretty deep for re bar rods to be driven deep enough into the ground (the quality of the hardstanding will need to be known) & the pier would probably need to be filled with concrete & the steel rods would need to go in to the full height of the pier.

Steve

Levelling isn't necessary. It turns out that you get all the adjustment you need in the polar alignment adjustments on the mount. Wish I'd known that before I bulit my pier and mount adapter - could have been a lot simpler :D

The wooden top is actually laminated top on the top and the underside and i also have some edging to stick to the sides all around so should protect most of it but it will be covered over whenever not in use and only in use when it's dry.

Might be worth rubbing in some sealant into the exposed chipboard on the edges in addition to the application of the edging strip.

I dont know a great deal about piers, but I know a fair bit about building, you'd have to have holes drilled pretty deep for re bar rods to be driven deep enough into the ground (the quality of the hardstanding will need to be known) & the pier would probably need to be filled with concrete & the steel rods would need to go in to the full height of the pier.

Steve

Thats a +1 for the re bar bein g full height

Levelling isn't necessary. It turns out that you get all the adjustment you need in the polar alignment adjustments on the mount. Wish I'd known that before I bulit my pier and mount adapter - could have been a lot simpler :D

I think had i not know that too i'd still be out there holding the pier absolute level whilst it set firmly *imagines a big human snow man!!!! :eek:

Just a little update.......decided to get the long+lat bolts adjusted whilst i was waiting so asked a good friend on mine if he could do anything with them(no he didn'y put them in the bin!!!)....but this is what he has done........i suggested he could market the idea!!

post-10991-0-38032900-1360777199_thumb.j

post-10991-0-51202500-1360777246_thumb.j

post-10991-0-92550000-1360777290_thumb.j

I think they look pretty smart. Was just a case of using the old bolt but machining a 'better' and 'easier' adjustment knob.

Need the snow to do one now so i can 'attempt' polar alignment and get started!!!!! Most likely be June now!! :mad:

Archived