Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Next filter for 10" Dob - have I got this right?

From reading threads I can see a general consensus that first Nebula filter recommended is a UHC , and having looked at the article on cloudy night filter comparison I think that's what I want. Favourite object at the moment is Orion Nebula and it seems best for that. Just 2 questions: 1. I already have a Baader Neodynium Filter ( bought for LP and planet use), does that have any impact on what I should get next? Should / can I 'stack' this and the UHC or does that defeat the object? 2. Assuming UHC is still the way to go, budget is limited it will be either the Skywatcher or Baader UHC, preferably the SW as it's the cheaper. In threads people say the SW is especially good for small aperture scopes. I don't consider my 10" small but more experienced observers might. Is there any reason given my scope to choose the Baader instead of the SW? Thanks Sharon

Definitely a UHC, the SW is a cheapo basic, it does the job. The Baader is just better to look through. It does the trick on planetary and emission nebulae.Careful stacking UHC, you can end up with internal reflections between the filters can take over your view.

Nick.

10 inch will never be considered small in my opinion :)I Use my baader neodynium on everything. Reduces Orange glow alt for me. Especially On low magnification. Never Tried a uhc thigh can you please let me know how it compares as I also have a 10 inch

Hi Sharon, I don't think it will be possible to stack the Baader Neo and a UHC filter, it will be too dark with not enough light transmission in my view. Go for the UHC, it is a completely different animal from the Baader Neo, I recommend the Sky Watcher as it does the job superbly, no point in spending extra cash when you don't need to. Nice scope you have there btw.

How well a LP filter works depends on how effectively it absorbs and passes at the appropriate parts of the spectrum. This is what gives you the contrast boost. Likely all that stacking would achieve is to pass less of the wavelengths that should be passed. So you'll end up with a dimmer image that has less contrast.

A UHC filter should be a big step up from the Neo. The difficult emission nebulae in Cygnus will go from invisible to very visible in many LP scenarios.

Archived