Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st Widefield Attempts

Hi all,

Recently picked up a Canon 1100D, and have been taking some static tripod widefield images. I'm really just looking for any advice on how I could improve for my next attempts.

MilkyWay_zps0357bb5b.png

Orion1_zps06627720.png

Orion2_zps40a66008.png

Orion3_zpse325fe47.png

They're all 20-25 second exposures, with ISO 800, 18mm end of the stock 18-55mm lens, and the largest aperture possible.

They are really rather nice...

I especially like the last couple of Orion shots with the trees in the foreground... You seem to have mastered the focusing which can be tricky and makes a big difference...

Nice star colour as well...

You could try taking a sequnces of images and stacking them but you will get some bluring of the foreground objects and rotation artefacts like you can see in the first image but you can crop this off...

Peter...

They are really rather nice...

I especially like the last couple of Orion shots with the trees in the foreground... You seem to have mastered the focusing which can be tricky and makes a big difference...

Nice star colour as well...

You could try taking a sequnces of images and stacking them but you will get some bluring of the foreground objects and rotation artefacts like you can see in the first image but you can crop this off...

Agree with Peter's comments. Worth seeing if you can download a 16-bit version of GIMP and playing with levels and curves too, if you haven't already. You probably can't take single subs much longer than you are now without some sort of tracking, but even so you may find there's a load more detail you can pull out.

James

The first image is stacked, but others I tried stacking didn't work out so well. Going to have to give it another go some time.

I do have Photoshop, and have adjusted the curves as best I could, but they never seem to actually do much, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks

Are you shooting Raw or Jpeg? For astro work you really want to be working with Raws... You need the extra bit depth to allow you to stretch the data and you can also adjust the White Balance etc in the post processing.

Peter...

RAW, which I then convert into DNG files which I open with Photoshop (my photoshop can't open RAW). Is this the right way to do it?

Nice images, i have the 1100D aswell, great budget camera.

The first image is stacked, but others I tried stacking didn't work out so well. Going to have to give it another go some time.

The other images probably did not stack well because they have trees in the foreground which will probably throw off the alighnment, at least thats what i've had happen to me in the past.

Archived