NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

evostar ed80 first light.

paler31

I own a celestron C6 sgt which I use for both viewing and astro imaging. I always thought aperture was everything. I am now questioning that after purchasing a skywatcher ed80 refractor. Last night the clouds cleared up and I managed to get a look at Jupiter. With the 28mm eyepiece supplied it looked clear but small as I was expecting. However when I started using my celestron possles on it the detail I could observe was more than I had thought possible from a wee 3 inch scope. Possibly even better than my 6 inch reflector. I managed to use my 4mm eyepiece barlowed to give effective 2mm and was amazed at the image this little scope produced. At the moment I am using some cheap celestron possle eyepieces but am in process of buying a 10mm hyperion. I can’t wait to see what kind of images I get with a quality eyepiece. I am very pleased with this purchase and if anyone is thinking about buying a first scope I cannot recommend this one enough.

I think the Skywatcher ED's are really excellent scopes - I've had the 80mm, 100mm and I'm now on the 120mm - just think of the 80mm on steroids !

Optically, I think you have to pay an awful lot to get better performance and even then it's not by much.

I think the Skywatcher ED's are really excellent scopes - I've had the 80mm, 100mm and I'm now on the 120mm - just think of the 80mm on steroids !

Optically, I think you have to pay an awful lot to get better performance and even then it's not by much.

I often think the 120 ED would be perfect for me, but they never seem to come up used, when they do they sell as soon as the add appears and i just cant afford a new one, also my 180 mak is near as dam an Apo, so it would be silly to sell the mak to get a 120ED

Archived