Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The most unusual binoculars I have ever heard of

rowan46

Certainly are unusual. Either the figure's apparent field not true, or looking closely at the picture looks like it might be 4.

I've seen the odd compact monocular in a similar pattern with the housing close to the prism shapes, but never something this big. Also look like the lens focal length is longer than on most modern binoculars.

That said I'd say these are tame compared to say the giant Newtonian "reverse binoculars", or some of the old optical rangefinders they used to use on warships.

That said I'd say these are tame compared to say the giant Newtonian "reverse binoculars", or some of the old optical rangefinders they used to use on warships.

Out of curiosity, I just Googled those reverse binoculars. They look like SAM batteries.

How do they differ from regular binoculars?

Sheer scale, based on Newtonian reflectors rather than refractors (which is required to give said sheer scale without an absurd pricetag), and you face in the direction opposite the view with your head between the two apertures.

I tend to agree - I can't see how the fov can be 40 deg, and I certainly wouldn't part with £700 for second-hand binoculars to find out. I also wonder about the suitablility of these for astro binos with an exit pupil of less than 3 - maybe I'm missing something.

Phil

That is the apparent FOV. Probably got simple Kellner eyepiece design. If it was true FOV , then multiplied by 18 then the AFOV would be 720 degrees!!!!!!!!!!! You would see everything twice!!!!!!!!!

My Father-in-law had a pair that looked very similar to these but only 10x mag and they were rubbish.

Nigel

It looks like 4.0 degrees. That requires 72 deg EPs, which is in the SWA range. The focal length may be shorter to keep the prisms and EPs smaller.

Your right. Close inspection of the fuzzy picture seems to show that the field of view is 4.0 and it is "EXTRA WIDE ANGLE"

Nigel

Archived