Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scarborough & Ryedale AS - Starfest (Aug 9th-11th in Dalby Forest)

AndyExton

Details have now been released for the 13th annual "Starfest" organised by Scarborough & Ryedale Astronomical Society. The 3 day event takes place in Adderstone Field, Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire between Friday 9th and Sunday 11th August. Astronomers from across the UK attend this event to take advantage of the dark skies in the North York Moors National Park and the forest has recently been awarded "Milky Way class" of the Dark Sky Discovery status.

For those who have not attended Dalby previously, please note the facilities are basic! Its all about the quality of the skies.

More information and a booking form can be downloaded from the Scarborough & Ryedale AS website (http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/starfest/starfest-2013/).

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on Starfest. Bookings are already starting to roll in. Please note that places are limited so booking asap is encouraged to avoid disappointment.

We have already been able to confirm Gary Fildes (Kielder Observatory) and Gary Poyner (former Director of Variable stars with the BAA) as guest speakers for the star camp. More to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had some queries from some individuals who have never attended the Dalby Forest Starfests previously regarding electrics etc.

Portaloos are hired for the weekend and stand pipes are available in the field for water. No hard standings or electrics are available - Adderstone Field is literally a field at the highest point in Dalby Forest. However, generators may be used through the day to top up those powerpacks and batteries.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Anyone from SGL booked for the star camp?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds interesting - would the field cope with a small touring caravan or is it tents only?

Edit - having read the info on the website I can see my question is already answered. Will have to talk his lordship into it I think ;)

I think i will give this one a try if there are still pitches available. Andy i have just PM'd you.

PM received and replied to Adam.

Pitches are still available for Starfest but we are receiving bookings daily so book soon to avoid disappointment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We still have a few pitches left for Starfest.

I can confirm that guest speakers over the weekend will be Gary Fildes (An Evening with the HST), Gary Poyner (An introduction to variable star observing) and Stuart Atkinson (Martian Rovers). Further speakers will be added should weather be inclement.

Please visit http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/starfest/starfest-2013/#sthash.OXTw2wfB.dpbs for further details as well as booking form. Book quickly to avoid disappointment.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have booked, passes for the toll road, hog roast tickets etc. should be mailed out at the end of this week all being well.

Its not too late to book if you have yet to. Please visit our website and download the booking form. I would suggest giving Mell a ring though (details on the booking form) to let her know a booking is on the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive taken the plunge and have just spoke to mel and booked for the weekend.

Its my first starparty but you all sound like a good bunch so hopefully I'll have someone to speak to as I'll be on my own and I like a good natter !

Do many others go on their own or is it just me ?

Cheers

Hi Astronymonkey

Glad you have managed a last minute booking. Yes quite a few individuals come on their own to our annual Starfests. They are a very relaxed atmosphere and many guests happily walk around having a good chat with everyone.

Pop along and see me anyway for a chat. We will be pitched up alongside Mell I would have thought near the entrance to the camp.

Hi Astronymonkey

Glad you have managed a last minute booking. Yes quite a few individuals come on their own to our annual Starfests. They are a very relaxed atmosphere and many guests happily walk around having a good chat with everyone.

Pop along and see me anyway for a chat. We will be pitched up alongside Mell I would have thought near the entrance to the camp.

Cheers Andy, that sounds like my sort of thing.

It's also my first dark sky run out for my 16inch so Im praying for clear skies !

Best wishes,

Ian

Archived