Stellarium for Android

Hi,

As I move the device (Nexus 7) around should thid show me the stars I should be looking at?

It doesn't!

Are there any better/similar apps? I have StarWalk on iPad/iPhone which works great.

It won't by default. You have to turn on that feature within Stellarium. Click the cog in the bottom right corner of the Stellarium screen. Now you will have all the icons appear at the bottom of the screen. There is one that looks like a phone with a small arrow either side. Click that and a message will appear saying 'Sensors control'. The sky will now move as you move the phone around.

It caught me out too, took a week before i realised what that icon did :)

I love the app though. I like the way it automatically adjusts the time to darkness to get you started. And most of the features are instantly recognisable from the desktop Stellarium.

I also have a Nexus 7, which (hopefully) will help me in next sunday's session

I've installed

- Google sky map

- Droid Sky View

- Mobile Observatory

- Stellarium Mobile

(among others)

Mobile Observatory

Mobile Observatory is an awesome source of information, and the best of all is that most of functions doesn't require 2 b online

I8MWhhC.png

I've got Star Chart on my phone - it's not too bad and the search has come in handy a few times when I've been aligning. A bit slower to load than Google Sky though. On proper phones, apparently it's got an augmented reality mode where you can see the star map overlaid on top of what the camera sees. Don't know what that's like though as it doesn't work on my phone!

https://play.google....starchart&hl=en

Archived