Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Goto telescope.

Goto is a marketing expression for you telling the scope what to point at, and it finds it and points at it basically.

These can come in Alt-Az or equatorial mounts, at various price points. You do need to align them (point them at some stars) for them to find their way across the sky, and some are said to be easier than others.

I considered buying one as my second telescope (or first 'proper' telescope, if you will), but the hassle of aligning them, plus not being able to slew them manually put me off. Then again, I can find my way around by star hopping and like my stuff simple and uncomplicated.

Also, expect that a fair portion of the price tag to be for the mount, rather than the optics, especially for the more affordable units. All that being said, there are some sweet, affordable GoTo telescopes around. I just don't think they are my cup of tea.

It is, simply, any scope on a GOTO mount, which has an in built computer model of the night sky and will point the scope automatically at what you would like to see.

Or, a GOTO 'scope on any mount. :grin:

They usually need to align/be aligned to a couple of stars, or the north star first.

Then the computer will control the drives to locate any object in its database.

I need to type faster!

Cheers

Personally i would recommend a dobsonian rather than a goto.

This might be a debate for another thread or a review of previous debates. However, had it not been for a GOTO mount under my first telescope I would not have progressed very far in this hobby. We were living in an inner city Calgary neighbourhood under bright orange skies with a dozen streetlights casting their glow into our back yard. Star hopping with a dob would have been practically futile, especially for a newbie not knowing the sky nor able to see most constellations.

Archived