Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is there?

rowan46

What do you mean by standard tripod ?

If a camera tripod then you may be able to get an adaptor plate, used to be one for smaller Meade scopes some years back, not sure about Celestron and Skywatcher.

You could equally mean EQ3-2 or EQ5 tripods.

I think one of the Allt/Az goto's have a cup like base so not a flat base.

Astro Engineering used to make the Meade to Camera tripod adaptor plates, no idea if they still do or if they make others.

What do you mean by standard tripod ?

If a camera tripod then you may be able to get an adaptor plate, used to be one for smaller Meade scopes some years back, not sure about Celestron and Skywatcher.

You could equally mean EQ3-2 or EQ5 tripods.

I think one of the Allt/Az goto's have a cup like base so not a flat base.

Astro Engineering used to make the Meade to Camera tripod adaptor plates, no idea if they still do or if they make others.

Sorry wasn't clear. Yes I mean a standard 3/8 fitting for a photo tripod

I assume you'd like to do this so you can also fit a camera to the tripod and only have to take one tripod? The Allview looks like it would do that for you, if it could handle a little more weight. I can't immediately think of anything else.

On the other hand, you could connect the camera to a dovetail and fit it to an existing alt-az telescope mount and tripod?

James

the ergonomics of photo tripods makes them easier to carry distances than astro ones they fit into neater packages. The one I have is only a little lighter than a nexstar se tripod it carries a lot more but it's a lot easier to tranport

I think you will struggle to find any Alt-Az mount that will fit a standard Photographic tripod 3/8 or 1/4 thread, let alone one with GOTO.

Tele-optic's Giro mounts are the only ones I can think of that will fit a tripod with 3/8" thread and carries 5kg. It doesn't have GOTO, but it is possible to fit DSC.

Alternatively, you can get this 3/8" to M10 adapter to adapt astro mount with GP60 connection to tripod with 3/8" thread

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=117&sprache=english

A goto alt az mount that fits on a standard tripod. needs to carry about 5kg

Not aware of an alt-az goto, but perhaps a computerized "push-to" would meet your needs.

Review here. . . . . . . . . www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2465

Contact for information: www.halfhitchtelescope.com

I made a simple adapter to use a Half / Hitch alt- az mount on a photo tripod.

Here are a few photos ( click on to enlarge) of our setup, hope this will be of help.

post-21902-0-47879400-1359055408_thumb.j

post-21902-0-12440900-1359055648_thumb.j

post-21902-0-09221900-1359055869_thumb.j

post-21902-0-18768900-1359055951_thumb.j

post-21902-0-40285500-1359055973_thumb.j

The old Meade ETX-70 had an adaptor for a camera tripod, and I assume that the ETX-80 is the same.

Have an adaptor plate somewhere and used it for some years successfully with scope on a Slik tripod.

Not sure about the ETX-90/105/125, although the 105 and 125 will need a pretty soid camera tripod, the 90 may be OK.

These scopes have a flat base so an adaptor plate is relatively simple.

Astro Engineering are the ones to ask about tripod adaptors, once you have decided on a scope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I think that the Skywatcher Synscan AZ has a 1/4 UNC fitting - this is used to attach it to the standard Tripod.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'm sure I've connected it to my photo tripod. Mind you not sure how it would perform with 5kg. I put myC8 on mine (with modified tripod) - worked OK but not sure if I was overloading the motors.

HTH

Paul

Archived