Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

W/C 21st January

swamp thing

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to wonder if all this night time cloud is connected to global warming or solar maximum, not one proper clear night outside full moon since early October :mad:

Looking out the window, it's starting to snow again....

I nipped up to Newlands Corner for an hour with the PST at midday and the roads were fine. The main road up to RC is well used so I'd be suprised if it had'nt been cleared and gritted.

The clouds soon rolled in at Newlands but did get to see a few sunspots and minor prominences. Was'nt much surface detail due to the murk, but there was a doublet of minor sunspots which was a bit different.

It is full moon tomo night but after the last 4 months it's got to be worth a go even though DSOs will be washed out.

Thanks for the info on the roads. It rained hard last night and any trace of snow has gone - yay \o/

The Sun is out here and so will the PST shortly :)

Hopefully, the skies will remain clear for this evening - it'll be so good to look through the eyepiece again.

It's usually around 9ish James, however with the clouds being so unpredictable and it being a Sunday night might be worth an earlier start.

Sat24 is pretty good for making a decision on the night as you can work out what's coming our way. The Met forecast has changed a number of times for tonight, from clear to white cloud to rain, it's showing clear from 6pm to midnight at the moment but who knows :grin:

Any luck with the PST today Lee? would be interesting to see which EP you find best for it. Yesterday I got the best view with an 18mm Meade SWA, but anything higher mag was just mush. I've used the Nagler zoom before which was fine but think yesterday the murk was no good for high mag, worryingly I tried a new 12mm EP for the first time and that was just blurred too.

I'm thinking an earlier start might be a good idea this evening too.

I thought the PST gave some good views today considering how low the Sun is. I started off with the 20mm that came with it but swapped that fairly quickly for an 8mm BST. That was pushing it a bit but it was okay. there were some nice looped proms and lots going on on the surface.

I thought the PST gave some good views today considering how low the Sun is. I started off with the 20mm that came with it but swapped that fairly quickly for an 8mm BST. That was pushing it a bit but it was okay. there were some nice looped proms and lots going on on the surface.

Well, since the above two quotes I have learnt you cant post to this forum from an android phone.

Anyway, it's like a tropical rain storm here at the moment in Guildford, however looking at Met Office it will pass to be dry from 1800 and leave clear skies for 2000 - 0000.

I guess 8pm would be a better time then, anyone still going and aiming for 8?

Archived