NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do I really need a motor for my EQ5?

I'm quite hesitant about getting a dual axis motor for my EQ5. It's been sitting in my basket for a week now and not sure whether or not to order it - what advantages does it give me apart from tracking objects? And what are the disadvantages, apart from spending a lot of money?! :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Advantage. it tracks objects, so you don't have to fiddle with the slow motion knob all the time. This is very useful when you are viewing at high magnification.

Also, the slow motion control becomes easily accessible and you don't have stretch to reach slow motion knob. Finally the scope won't vibrate when you use make adjustment via the controller.

Disadvantage. Batteries cost money

Are you happy to track the object your looking at yourself?If you are then no you don't need to buy the motors.Are you frustrated when you change EP's the object your looking at has disappeared etc then you may want the motors!

Are you thinking of venturing into AP?If yes then you'll just need the RA motor only

Are you happy to track the object your looking at yourself?If you are then no you don't need to buy the motors.Are you frustrated when you change EP's the object your looking at has disappeared etc then you may want the motors!

Are you thinking of venturing into AP?If yes then you'll just need the RA motor only

Sorry, what does RA stand for?

Advantage. it tracks objects, so you don't have to fiddle with the slow motion knob all the time. This is very useful when you are viewing at high magnification.

Also, the slow motion control becomes easily accessible and you don't have stretch to reach slow motion knob. Finally the scope won't vibrate when you use make adjustment via the controller.

Disadvantage. Batteries cost money

How often do you need to change the batteries? Can't you use and adapter to hook it into the house electricity?

I personally feel the advantages outweigh the cons, but if you are happy doing it manual dont spend the money. It just makes life a little easier say for example... you go inside to get a member of the family and are gone a minute or so it will still be in the field of view, or close. Whereas without it can take you 2-3 minutes to find it again >.<

So it all depends on how you are going to use them to whether or not its a good buy for yourself.

Also take a look at installing / regreasing motors, a lot of people buy them and have no idea how to put them on so they gather dust in a corner lol :p make sure your happy enough to fit them & regrease them as this always helps.

Tracking is very useful, you can actually take the time look at the things in the scope.

The batteries for the pack are D cells I think and the cheapest is going to be somewhere like poundland but even there they come in 2 per pack, so you need a few packs.

You can get a mains adaptor fron Maplins which is good for at home, get one with enought ampage output, not so good where no mains.

Other possibility away from home/mains is a car adaptor that goes into the power connector.

Set up the EQ5 and see how you get on, then decide. Only takes one night to try out manually moving and tracking things.

I have the single drive motor for the eq5 and I wouldn't be without it, I use it with battery power and with a power supply (not at the same time) the battery's last for quite a while, think i still using the original ones when i got the motor, always advisable to have a spare set at the ready tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got the RA motor for christmas, and im on my 2nd set of batteries already. But then again, the first set were from a corner shop on Christmas day so i didnt expect them to last lol. Now i have the RA its not much easier. I was looking at Jupiter for about 5mins a few weeks ago then it dawned on me i hadnt had to touch the slow mo nobs :D

You don't really need the motors if you're not going to do any imaging.

I bought them so I could image the planets with my webcam. I also used them for basic tracking of DSO's for Astrophotoghy with my DSLR. I have now attached the Shoestring Astronomy hardware to allow auto-guiding. I think the motors are one of the best accessories I have bought, along with my Telrad and BST Explorer 24mm EP.

I bought a mains adapter for the motors as the D-Cells are very expensive and I mainly view from my back garden.

You don't really need the motors if you're not going to do any imaging.

I bought them so I could image the planets with my webcam. I also used them for basic tracking of DSO's for Astrophotoghy with my DSLR. I have now attached the Shoestring Astronomy hardware to allow auto-guiding. I think the motors are one of the best accessories I have bought, along with my Telrad and BST Explorer 24mm EP.

I bought a mains adapter for the motors as the D-Cells are very expensive and I mainly view from my back garden.

As far as I know, with EQ5 or HEQ5 imaging deep space is not an option even with the DSLR camera. I asked FLO about it before deciding on the motor. Do you use an EQ5 mount? If so, images of deep space OK?

Yes I use an EQ5 mount. The EQ5 isn't ideal for DSO imaging as the motors aren't as precise as on the expensive mounts and the mount itself isn't as sturdy. It is possible though and lots of people on here have had great results with the same setup as myself. I've got a young family so I didn't want to spend a lot of time or money on the Hobby.

Being a beginner at this and I've only been out imaging DSO's about 3 or 4 times. The images under my gallery are all un-guided and with hardly any processing, they're not brilliant but it shows you can do it. I've had a go at guiding but it picked up a lot of light pollution and I will have to process those images.

Obviously the recommended minimal mount for AP is an HEQ5 mount, you hear it 100's of times a day on this site and they're probably right. I didn't want to spend that type of money though.

Yes I use an EQ5 mount. The EQ5 isn't ideal for DSO imaging as the motors aren't as precise as on the expensive mounts and the mount itself isn't as sturdy. It is possible though and lots of people on here have had great results with the same setup as myself. I've got a young family so I didn't want to spend a lot of time or money on the Hobby.

Being a beginner at this and I've only been out imaging DSO's about 3 or 4 times. The images under my gallery are all un-guided and with hardly any processing, they're not brilliant but it shows you can do it. I've had a go at guiding but it picked up a lot of light pollution and I will have to process those images.

Obviously the recommended minimal mount for AP is an HEQ5 mount, you hear it 100's of times a day on this site and they're probably right. I didn't want to spend that type of money though.

These are magnificent images, mate! I really like them...Did you use the DSLR cam? What's your OTA?

These are magnificent images, mate! I really like them...Did you use the DSLR cam? What's your OTA?

Cheers, I wish I could put more time into the hobby, but when I'm ready to go out, it rains.

I've got the SW 200p on a SW EQ5. I use a Canon 350D DSLR for the DSO's and an SPC900NC webcam for the planets.

I wanted to wait until a 2nd hand HEQ5 came up for sale, but I waited a long time without any luck so I got the motors. If you see a 2nd hand HEQ5 grab it, they'll be snatched up quick, especially just after Star Gazing Live has been on.

Perry.

Cheers, I wish I could put more time into the hobby, but when I'm ready to go out, it rains.

I've got the SW 200p on a SW EQ5. I use a Canon 350D DSLR for the DSO's and an SPC900NC webcam for the planets.

I wanted to wait until a 2nd hand HEQ5 came up for sale, but I waited a long time without any luck so I got the motors. If you see a 2nd hand HEQ5 grab it, they'll be snatched up quick, especially just after Star Gazing Live has been on.

Perry.

Cool...good to know that.

As far as I know, with EQ5 or HEQ5 imaging deep space is not an option even with the DSLR camera. I asked FLO about it before deciding on the motor. Do you use an EQ5 mount? If so, images of deep space OK?

Deep sky imaging CAN be done with an EQ3-2, although there's a risk what you save in money you'll repay several times over in time and effort.

Deep sky imaging CAN be done with an EQ3-2, although there's a risk what you save in money you'll repay several times over in time and effort.

You're not wrong there. It's ok if you like a bit of a challenge though :-)

Archived