Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some Synscan firmware update questions

DaveGarland

Hi all!

I looking for some opinions. Basically I'm having a ponder on updating my Synscan software. The thing is, whenever I do software updates on laptops, phones etc they always seem a little slower. So I have some questions before I make a decision.

1. Has anyone experienced any problems or performance issues after an update?

2. Is the pointing accuracy improved?

3. The manual says that after 3 point alignment , polar alignment can be done by selecting a star and centering it in the eyepiece by adjusting the scopes Alt Az screws. But isn't it impossible to look through the eyepiece and reach the screws? Isn't it easier just to use the polar scope?

4. Is the object database improved?

And does anyone else have other questions or answers to un-asked questions???

I'm quite happy with things the way they are you see so unless there's some significant improvement I don't really see why I should rock the boat.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave.

I generally tend not to update anything as that is when I start to have have problems! If you do a search in forums for 'synscan firmware update' you should find quite a few threads about it over the past couple of weeks which might help you decide.

1. Has anyone experienced any problems or performance issues after an update?

There is thread on here somewhere about some issues with 3.32. It works ok for me though. Altered behaviour seems to be that it goes straight to the setup menu rather than alignment when you start up (certainly when you start from park position) and that it now always approaches the target from a set direction to avoid backlash issues (my Celestron Nexstar always did this). Note that this version of the firmware has features to work with the new EQ8 and AZ-EQ6 mounts.

2. Is the pointing accuracy improved?

I get far fewer 'alignment failed's with 3.32 than I did with 3.28 - whether that is because it is more accurate or just that they have relaxed the tolerance for failure I couldn't say.

3. The manual says that after 3 point alignment , polar alignment can be done by selecting a star and centering it in the eyepiece by adjusting the scopes Alt Az screws. But isn't it impossible to look through the eyepiece and reach the screws? Isn't it easier just to use the polar scope?

True - you have to do this blind, which can be rather exciting if you turn the screws the wrong way! It is supposed to be more accurate than trying to align with the polar scope though - the manual claims you can align to 1 arcminute or so - I think you would struggle to do that just with the polar scope. You only need to do this if you are imaging , the polar scope should be fine for visual.

4. Is the object database improved?

Not that I know of. I would have thought it was already fairly comprehensive.

NigelM

All working swimmingly :D I don't think I'll be using the polar align feature but that tracking from the same direction each time certainly seemed an improvement. Ok I've only done one set up lol. Time will tell. But this time Jupiter appeared slap bang in the middle of my eyepiece. I'm well pleased :)

• 2 months later...

Hi !

Any improvement on the former totaly useless 3 stars alignment ?

With previous versions of the software, I gave up on this. Only a 1 star alignment, near the target, would get me the target dead centered on my EOS. A 3 stars alignment would allways put it outside the FOV of the camera...

I haven't tried this yet, I have the v3.32 version already, but for the accuracy required for imaging you'll need to use an illuminated reticule if you don't have it hooked up to a laptop. Something not in my equipment drawer yet :-(

Perhaps you could align with a high power EP and have the star out of focus so you can reliably position it. Just not sure if that would improve the polar alignment.

Archived