Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser for scope...

emadmoussa

The trouble is you can't see a laser beam at all unless it's travelling through smoke or fog or some such particles.

But it's something I've never tried, maybe others have found that their are enough particles in the air to partly show the beam?

The trouble is you can't see a laser beam at all unless it's travelling through smoke or fog or some such particles.

But it's something I've never tried, maybe others have found that their are enough particles in the air to partly show the beam?

welcome to the UK - there are always particles in the air :)

They work pretty good in a scope, seen quite a few.

The problem is the more the power the easier they are to see, and there are arguements over what is OK, and not OK.

I would say you are looking at a 5mW or more and even they do not show up greatly, but that also depends on the light pollution.

Next is you need a holder for one, similar to a finder scope, I only know of Astro Enginering that make them, although I would also look at the TS site as they stock a large assotment of bits.

If the idea is to align on Polaris then that is not polar aligned, the reticule in a polar scope is offset by the amount that polaris is offset from the patch of sky that the earths rotational axis passes through, comes to about a degree difference. So matching scope to GLP and then aiming at Polaris does not polar align your scope.

The most times I have seen one used is actually on a dobsonian, aim GLP at whatever and the scope is pointed at the same thing, don't ned to star hop then. Makes it quicker to locate things.

You could use a green laser? I use it to point stuff out to my brother and dad when we go out and it's very bright.

They work pretty good in a scope, seen quite a few.

The problem is the more the power the easier they are to see, and there are arguements over what is OK, and not OK.

I would say you are looking at a 5mW or more and even they do not show up greatly, but that also depends on the light pollution.

Next is you need a holder for one, similar to a finder scope, I only know of Astro Enginering that make them, although I would also look at the TS site as they stock a large assotment of bits.

If the idea is to align on Polaris then that is not polar aligned, the reticule in a polar scope is offset by the amount that polaris is offset from the patch of sky that the earths rotational axis passes through, comes to about a degree difference. So matching scope to GLP and then aiming at Polaris does not polar align your scope.

The most times I have seen one used is actually on a dobsonian, aim GLP at whatever and the scope is pointed at the same thing, don't ned to star hop then. Makes it quicker to locate things.

Finding a way to fix it onto the finder scope or the guidescope is necessary, but I'll think twice before committing myself to buying a laser pen holder. I had a look at them I think I can figure out a way to attach it with the correct alignments...if you don't have much DIY work around, you might as well practice on your scope accessories :)

Well yes our eye sight is MUCH more sensitive to green than red and especially blue. I've seen figures of we being 10 times more to green than at the other colours but that sounds like too much to me, don't know really.

Not sure what would happen though if they catch you pointing lasers up into the sky around busy areas.

5mW green laser at night ..

I've used one for quite a while and find it really useful as I'm normally a 'backyard' observer. Star parties don't like green laser pens as they can upset people who are imaging.

A 1mW green laser is sufficient ( I installed lithium batteries in mine as they work down to -40° ) but as the night air gets colder the laser dioide will start to weaken. I've attached it using the Astro Engineering mount thus:

post-30284-1338776897_thumb.jpg

Just make sure that you don't point it at passing aircraft or police helicopters and you should be fine. It allows you to position the 'scope without having to bend over it.

Having said all this I have recently acquired a Rigel Quickfinder and the laser pointer will probably be retired to lie around in the corner with a lot of other unused stuff.............

I've used one for quite a while and find it really useful as I'm normally a 'backyard' observer. Star parties don't like green laser pens as they can upset people who are imaging.

A 1mW green laser is sufficient ( I installed lithium batteries in mine as they work down to -40° ) but as the night air gets colder the laser dioide will start to weaken. I've attached it using the Astro Engineering mount thus:

Just make sure that you don't point it at passing aircraft or police helicopters and you should be fine. It allows you to position the 'scope without having to bend over it.

Having said all this I have recently acquired a Rigel Quickfinder and the laser pointer will probably be retired to lie around in the corner with a lot of other unused stuff.............

I'm actually planning to attach it to the scope in addition to the finderscope and guidescope...call it unnecessary accessorizing if you want! :)

There are rules about such things connected to regulations for aircraft safety. Basically anything that goes into the air above a certain height, I think it's 50m, has to be licensed and you can get into a LOT of trouble if your actions are deemed malicious or reckless.

Not too sure about how they would view a laser into the night sky, I suppose it would depend on proximity to an airport/airfield, flight paths and air corridors, the power/range of the laser and whether any complaints are received about it's use.

I once had a helicopter hovering over my 4 acre garden at about 20m in the middle of the night, I lived way out in the boon docks then so no street lights and no neighbours for miles, anyway, I got my torch out, it was a 20 million Candle power Jobby, and shone it on the helicopter, not at the pilot, to see what was going on, noticed it was the Police and turned and torch off, forgot about it...that was until about an hour later when i had a loud banging on the front door and it was said plod who wanted to know why I was shining a torch on the helicopter..they read out all these regulations and attempted intimidation, but eventually satisfied themselves I was not trying to cause a problem for the flight crew and left..

I would seriously check out the regulations and any local flight restrictions before you go firing a laser into the night sky, in these days of terrorism paranoia is it really worth the hassle you may just cause yourself and your family when there are clearly more effective solutions to the problem?

There are rules about such things connected to regulations for aircraft safety. Basically anything that goes into the air above a certain height, I think it's 50m, has to be licensed and you can get into a LOT of trouble if your actions are deemed malicious or reckless.

Not too sure about how they would view a laser into the night sky, I suppose it would depend on proximity to an airport/airfield, flight paths and air corridors, the power/range of the laser and whether any complaints are received about it's use.

I once had a helicopter hovering over my 4 acre garden at about 20m in the middle of the night, I lived way out in the boon docks then so no street lights and no neighbours for miles, anyway, I got my torch out, it was a 20 million Candle power Jobby, and shone it on the helicopter, not at the pilot, to see what was going on, noticed it was the Police and turned and torch off, forgot about it...that was until about an hour later when i had a loud banging on the front door and it was said plod who wanted to know why I was shining a torch on the helicopter..they read out all these regulations and attempted intimidation, but eventually satisfied themselves I was not trying to cause a problem for the flight crew and left..

I would seriously check out the regulations and any local flight restrictions before you go firing a laser into the night sky, in these days of terrorism paranoia is it really worth the hassle you may just cause yourself and your family when there are clearly more effective solutions to the problem?

I see what you mean - well, I say...if they want to turn the country into a police state...so be it - will be a problem when they consider a telescope tube a step into making your own mortar launcher :)

I see what you mean - well, I say...if they want to turn the country into a police state...so be it - will be a problem when they consider a telescope tube a step into making your own mortar launcher :)

That is a silly thing to say. I would suggest you read this page from the Farnham Astronomical Society which clearly lists a specific set of regulations that control the use of the such devices.

I would point out that a 1mW green laser can travel up to 2 nautical miles into the atmosphere (thats ~11,000ft) and a 200mW green laser (perfectly legal to buy) has been recorded at being visible up to 75 nautical miles from source and up to 15 nautical miles vertically (that is almost 80,000ft)

Clearly using them, whilst not illegal, needs to be done with a bag load of common sense in such a small island as the UK due to the many flight paths, both civil (private), Civil (Commercial) and Military, not to mention the Helicopter corridors.

That is a silly thing to say. I would suggest you read this page from the Farnham Astronomical Society which clearly lists a specific set of regulations that control the use of the such devices.

I'm sorry, I thought political sarcasm is a public domain. I totally understand the responsibilities related to using a laser pointer and why there are some regulations in this regard. I'm naturally bound by them, not only because the government says so, but simply because it's a common sense and out of care for other people's safety and well-being. Politics aside, laser is still a good aligner not a very brief period.

I'm sorry, I thought political sarcasm is a public domain. I totally understand the responsibilities related to using a laser pointer and why there are some regulations in this regard. I'm naturally bound by them, not only because the government says so, but simply because it's a common sense and out of care for other people's safety and well-being. Politics aside, laser is still a good aligner not a very brief period.

Correction: FOR a very brief period.

I use a green 5mW pointer with my dob. I've found it really useful for approximate positioning. I 'fire' the laser through the finder scope. This produces a clearly viable beam in the approximate direction that the finder is pointing. It means that I can get the target (normally a brightish star) in the finder very quickly and then start to star hop. I generally use the laser in around 5 or 6 second bursts to get in the right general area.

Clearly one needs to use common sense and not point it at aircraft. In my experience 5mW is ample even from my light polluted garden. You also need to keep the laser warm, I keep it in my pocket when observing.

I hope you like porridge - hear they do good portions in HMP's :police:

Archived