Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Blown away , cloudy hazey night i saw Jupiter 4 bands 4 moons :D , Advice needed :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi yesteryear, I enjoyed reading your post.

I think we might have the same telescope (Skyliner 8" Dob) and be at about the same level of experience. Just tonight I had my own first Blown Away evening looking at Jupiter, Moon, various bits of Orion's anatomy. Even a Messier Object M38. All amazing.

For what it's worth, I can confirm that bit you mentioned and photographed is an adapter for 2" size eyepieces should you get some, and not a Barlow eyepiece. I bought a Meade Barlow x2 lens with the 200p for £32 and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by it tonight. Bigger images, yes but tricky to get good focus. My favourite eyepiece turned out to be the flimsy-feeling 10x that came with the 200p. I suppose my point is that you might want to try out a few different Barlow's before purchasing - i have a feeling they might be quite an individual taste. Anyway, I'm trying to avoid EOEA ("Early Onset Equipment Angst") and enjoy looking around up there. Clear skies to you.

Regards, Crebles

Thanks, i have still only had a couple of half hour session cant wait for some settled weather,

I am yet to collamate it perfectly , i end up making it much worse every time i have followed all the beginner guides

but the best i can get is this,

scop4.jpg

the black solid circle i cant seem to centre? is that the reflection of the callmation cap ?

Are you referring to the inner black circle? If so, it only appears perfectly concentric in long focal length scopes. In your faster scope it will be offset. Just concentrate on lining up the crosshairs with the centre marker of the primary.

Have you looked at Astro Baby's tutorial (http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm) it explains it well and has example pictures of the offset you should be seeing.

Yes the B

Are you referring to the inner black circle? If so, it only appears perfectly concentric in long focal length scopes. In your faster scope it will be offset. Just concentrate on lining up .

Hello thanks for the reply,

yes the black big circle which is the 3rd from the centre of the corss hairs, i have the tiny back circle lined up with the cross hair now, i cannot for the life of me get it ay better i ave followed every guide i can, which makes me think its impossibe or there is some fault with my scope,

Yes the B

Hello thanks for the reply,

yes the black big circle which is the 3rd from the centre of the corss hairs, i have the tiny back circle lined up with the cross hair now, i cannot for the life of me get it ay better i ave followed every guide i can, which makes me think its impossibe or there is some fault with my scope,

I'm pretty sure that's just the standard offset then.

If the secondary mirror appears as a circle, the primary mirror clips are equally visible and the center spot is aligned in the crosshairs then everything should be good.

As soon as you get some clear skies, get your scope out and cooled, get as high powered a view as you can with the atmospheric conditions and see what the airy disc looks like. You can then fine tune the collimation that way if it is still out.

Oh hang on. Third big black circle, that's the black around the inner edge of the view down the focuser, the first in?

In that case that's your secondary mirror not being aligned. Can you take a picture down your focuser without the Cheshire in there?

Oh hang on. Third big black circle, that's the black around the inner edge of the view down the focuser, the first in?

In that case that's your secondary mirror not being aligned. Can you take a picture down your focuser without the Cheshire in there?

capng.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thats as good as i can get it :S

to make matters wors i got a tiny fingerprint on the far edge on the small mirror should i just leave it ?

That seems to be fine. All three clips visible and it looks pretty circular from that picture.

Bad news is that you need to clean it. As that fingerprint can damage the coatings of the mirror. That means taking it off and cleaning it like you would the primary.

As a complete newbie myself, I use 'Stellarium' (free download) on the laptop. Should show you what you're looking at.

You can even run the clock in 'fast forward' mode to see what's coming up over the horizon later.

There is also a Stellarium app for android, and probably for iphones. It isn't free but near as, only costs a couple of pounds.

I've had it for about a month and use it when outside trying to find stars to align by. There is a useful nightvision mode so you don't destroy your eyes.

The app isn't as feature rich as the program but still worth having.

Thanks for the link , doesn't look too hard , to remove the secondary do you just unscrew the middle screw while holding onto it ? as a matter of interest how much do secondary mirrors cost to replace ?

It's only a tiny little mark here's a picture I took with flash

No idea on the price, I've not had to look yet. Removal is as you stated, make sure you keep your ota horizontal just in case something slips!

The picture doesn't seem to have come through, but it doesn't really matter how small it is ... the acid in your sweat will spoil the coating.

Had a bit of a read of Turn left at Orion , and tonight I found the Crab Nebula , nothing but a tiny smudge but impressive reading the story about it , I they found the really cool double star on the head of Gemini . Still exploring the area near the right foot ( just above and the the right I found a huge beautiful cluster of stars. What was this ? Just as I was looking cloud came in for the night :(

Still 2 new really cool views I'm quite happy with this session :)

Had a bit of a read of Turn left at Orion , and tonight I found the Crab Nebula , nothing but a tiny smudge but impressive reading the story about it , I they found the really cool double star on the head of Gemini . Still exploring the area near the right foot ( just above and the the right I found a huge beautiful cluster of stars. What was this ? Just as I was looking cloud came in for the night :(

Still 2 new really cool views I'm quite happy with this session :)

I'm going to take a guess at M35. It depends on which twin's right foot and whether you mean his right or our right!

"Had a bit of a read of Turn left at Orion , and tonight I found the Crab Nebula , nothing but a tiny smudge but impressive reading the story about it , I they found the really cool double star on the head of Gemini . Still exploring the area near the right foot ( just above and the the right I found a huge beautiful cluster of stars. What was this ? Just as I was looking cloud came in for the night "

neat bit of viewing. The cluster at the foot is likely to be M35, one of the finest. The nicest double is kappa , which is on the Lhs shoulder of Gemini. You should be able to see the Eskimo nebula NGC 2392, just down from Wasat, it'll appear as a non stellar glow,then magnify to x100 +,

Nick.

Yes M35 it was indeed :)

Beautiful sight, i could not see that eskimo nebula, that was one of my failed tasks for the evening, i looked for a good 20 minutes under ok conditions with no moonlight :(

ah well always next time i know my way around a bit better in future i had no idea where gemini even was before last night, im sure it will stick with me for good now.

Archived