Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blown away , cloudy hazey night i saw Jupiter 4 bands 4 moons :D , Advice needed :)

Hi guys i found a break in the clouds and took my Skywatcher skyliner 200p out for a quick test,

conditions sort of hazey, the moon had a big halo around it, the sky was more a blue then black yet there were a few stars out, so without a clue what i was looking at i pointed at the brightest one, I instantly saw 3 moons and jupiter :) i used the 25 lens

it was a tiny blob with 3 specs the moons :) i copuld barely make out a band or 2, so i then tried the 25 lens and after lots of patience and ajusting every 30 secons or so, i got a nice little view of the 4 bands and as time went on a 4th moon apeared :) , it was so hazey even jupiter had a kind of halo around it, Is that to be expected

even tho the conditions were not good and i have light pollution i was Blown away ,

I was also amazed just by pointing at random bits of sky the amout of stars filled up my vision was mindblowing itself.

I Have 25 and super 10,

i also have this barlow peice should i have used that whats it for ?

are there any better lens that will make jupiter even bigger ? what lens should i look to invest in ,

I also felt really lost i am trying to find turn left at orion, are there any cheaper books that will tell a complete novice what times to expect to find objects , i have no idea where staurn would be i guess its early hours near sunset

Im so excited for a clear night so i can make plans to do an all nighter in a perfect pitch black dark location in the countryside i have lined up :)

not a greta pic i just put my iphone up to the scope, still cool tho

jupitero.jpg

thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This peice ,

barloww.jpg

is that the barlow,? whats it for will it increase my zoom, which lens should go in the 25 or 10?

sorry if im wrong ,like i said i am a complete novice,

I know i didnt see much but it was still really special to see Jupiter and the moons :) there so much more i want to see and learn about,

I think i will need to buy a water but from b&q to put under the base of the scope as it strains my neck so low im 6.2

As a complete newbie myself, I use 'Stellarium' (free download) on the laptop. Should show you what you're looking at.

You can even run the clock in 'fast forward' mode to see what's coming up over the horizon later.

The barlow can be used with either of the eps you have, it'll double the power. so a 25 will become a 12.5 and the 10 will become a 5.

The sw one isnr great and on a 200 the 10mm with barlow may be next to useless as thats 240x magnification (1200 fl / 5mm)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This peice ,

<snipped>

is that the barlow,? whats it for will it increase my zoom, which lens should go in the 25 or 10?

sorry if im wrong ,like i said i am a complete novice,

I know i didnt see much but it was still really special to see Jupiter and the moons :) there so much more i want to see and learn about,

I think i will need to buy a water but from b&q to put under the base of the scope as it strains my neck so low im 6.2

That might be an adapter so that you can use 2" eyepieces.

A barlow lens should be the same diameter as your eyepieces (think 1.25" is default with the skyliner) and will be a hollow tube with a lens at the bottom end. It will also have a multiplier written on it such as x2.

A x2 barlow has the effect of doubling the light path (focal length) through the scope so that a 25mm eyepiece becomes the equivalent to a 12.5mm eyepiece and your 10mm lens would become the equivalent of a 5mm lens.

So it would increase the magnification: 25mm = x47 and 25mm + x2 barlow = x95.

Regarding finding objects, try downloading and using Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/) which is a free planetarium program. Useful for finding when planets rise and familiarising yourself with the main star patterns at set times of the night for your locaiton. You should check the constellation of Orion and find the three stars that form his belt. Below the leftmost star are three fainter stars which form the sword. The middle star is the Great Nebula in Orion and should make good viewing in your dob.

Clear skies,

Damien

Ah right I guess I don't have a Barlow , Can anyone please link me to one and a better lens and will work with my skyliner 200 , also Can you get a lens that has different magnications with a twist to save swapping them over each time ?

Would you buy the extras desperate or as a bundle ? I might need a few different coloured filters too, thanks for your help :)

I know I didn't achieve much bit getting a little glimpse of Jupiter was a great star for me :). It has inspired me to get into it even more ,

Thank you again for the help

Before you start buying new eyepieces wait until you have had a few sessions when the sky is considerably better than it has been recently.

Remember when viewing the planets the aim is not to get them as big as you can but as sharp and contrasty as possible. For viewing Jupiter a magnification above about 160/180 is seldom possible due to the sky quality.

Have done :) happy to pay postage a bit on top to say thanks for your kind gesture,

I had another look at Jupiter tonight and there was again a strange halo around it on the finder scope ,

I looked through. The lens and it had the same glare , do I need a filter for planet viewing too ? On hazy nights ?

I had a look at the cloudy cluster close by there are so many beautiful stars in there :) another wow moment , best if all I had a look around randomly and I saw a really beautiful shooting star, then the clouds came ,:(

Awesome fun tho :)

Try to find M42 the nebula in Orion's sword.

Did just that last night, wow thanks for the tip ! so many stars in there and the cloudyness :)

It really is much more rewarding if you make a plan on what to observe before you set out, so will do in future

I even managed to find andromeda , took em over an hour and 2 mintues after i found it the thick cloud came in grr , :) will it be similar to find next time ?

Jupiter was really close to the moon and i found the glare from the moon took away some detail from Jupiter, still a beautiful sight even witrh the naked eye the 2 big boys of the sky being so close,

With the success on my mind i set my alarm to 6 am , brazed the freezing cold and i managed to get a 30 second look at saturn :) i tiny little disc and planet even with the super 10mm, with no detail but conditions were poor, but i found it and it was another amazing sight i could not beleive what i was seeing :),

I cant wait to see these in all their true beauty, no LP proper clear skies :)

the barlow might have been too much if the conditions where not great, but on a clear night the barlow with the 10mm would have provided a great amount of detail on jupiter. Glad to hear you were blown away, its always a good feeling the first time :)

Archived