Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second hand gear source

ben_e71

I am starting to see parallels between astronomy and my lead hobby archery with regards to equipment. Mainly I am seeing the drive for even better kit and that the urge to replace, enhance and progress is strong. In archery this leads to a healthy nearly new market where buyers can get last year's bow for a cheap price. I sense there must be similar in the telescope world as people replace their NexStar 4SE with a 6SE etc....

So where do I find this for astronomy as there doesn't seem to be much on eBay. I know Astronomia have a second hand section but their second hand prices are quite close to FLO's new prices.

So let me in on the secret - or sell me your cast of NexStar 4SE :0)

yep, Astrobuysell is the best place to 2nd hand gear. SGL classified is also good, but you need 50 posts and 1 month membership to see it and 250posts to put wanted ad.

Fleabay is not too bad either, if you know what you are buying. However, it's a very dangerous place for beginner.

I think Nexstar SEs shows up more often on fleabay than ABS.

I am starting to see parallels between astronomy and my lead hobby archery with regards to equipment. Mainly I am seeing the drive for even better kit and that the urge to replace, enhance and progress is strong. In archery this leads to a healthy nearly new market where buyers can get last year's bow for a cheap price.

On a bit of a tangent, that surprises me. When I was shooting regularly it seemed that in many cases once someone found a bow they were happy with they were loathe to change anything about it. This was some time ago, so perhaps the market has changed.

James

On a bit of a tangent, that surprises me. When I was shooting regularly it seemed that in many cases once someone found a bow they were happy with they were loathe to change anything about it. This was some time ago, so perhaps the market has changed.

James

Depends on the style of archery. I'm a compound archer and we all change kit a lot :0)

yep, Astrobuysell is the best place to 2nd hand gear. SGL classified is also good, but you need 50 posts and 1 month membership to see it and 250posts to put wanted ad.

Fleabay is not too bad either, if you know what you are buying. However, it's a very dangerous place for beginner.

I think Nexstar SEs shows up more often on fleabay than ABS.

wow 250 posts. I know rules is rules but that's a year's worth.

. . . . . . . . in many cases once someone found a bow they were happy with they were loathe to change anything about it. This was some time ago, so perhaps the market has changed.

James

I've been an archer since the early 1960s, we didn't change equipment often unless something radically better came along. It was understood that if you constantly changed equipment, you could never develop a consistency with shot placement; it is true to a great extent. Too many people today are brainwashed by marketing hype.

Edit: I will say though, I am looking to buy a new target bow, but only because of my physical limitations with draw weight. Its no fun getting old.

Archived