NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's this then?

I braved the cold last night and went out with my Astrotrac and took a shot of the Pleiades and Jupiter with a 70mm Canon lens. Nothing special, but there's a fuzzy patch just below the Pleiades, which I don't recognise.

It's probably just a lens something or other, but thought I'd ask in case I'm being thick.

post-10770-0-87616600-1358332997_thumb.j

I was out last night taking some images with just my camera on a tripod of Jupiter,Pleiades,Orion,but haven't looked at em yet.

What time was this image taken?

Saw a great meteor/fireball though around 8-15 low in the sky heading from east to north.

I checked out your image against Starry night pro and there was a comet in the area at the time of your image.........though not Comet Palmer I'm afraid......... :grin:

The position does not match exactly but this could be due to Starry night being set for my location and or bad orientation on my part. Anyway,the Comet is Gunn 65p (a cheap one :rolleyes: ) as shown on the attached screen shot with your object's position overlayed. Comet or not I rather like your widefield image. :icon_salut:

post-849-0-73234400-1358376600_thumb.png

Comets can be very bright indeed. We're expected 2 naked-eye comets this year, I can't wait for the first (PanSTARRS) in March! :)

However, as Michael has already said this is definitely an internal reflection which is very common with bright objects and long exposures.

Archived