NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TAL-ly HO!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your advise, one & all. The focus tube does move, then there is slight click & it stops, I give it a nudge & it moves again & so on, I will have another go but I am wary of taking it to pieces as it is new, I only got it from Wex on the 21st of December, & only managed go use it once, ( lousy weather )

Thanks for all your advise, one & all. The focus tube does move, then there is slight click & it stops, I give it a nudge & it moves again & so on, I will have another go but I am wary of taking it to pieces as it is new, I only got it from Wex on the 21st of December, & only managed go use it once, ( lousy weather )

If you grab the drawtube, can you pull it out(back towards you) by hand, even if you put a bit of grunt into it?

If you grab the drawtube, can you pull it out(back towards you) by hand, even if you put a bit of grunt into it?

The reason for asking such a question is, I've read a few reports on Russian forums how some users have found the tension screw just doesn't seem to work as well as it should in theory.

This is what some of them did, to good effect and it doesn't involve taking the focuser to bits. If you find out what the thread size the tension screw is, replace it with a cap screw of the same thread. I'm guessing it might be an M4 or M5 used on the Tal? It's M4 on my GSO.

SS001006.jpg

Pic shamelessly nicked off of google images.

Lightly using an allen key might give you better ability to tension the shaft against the flat part of the drawtube?

Have any other Tal crayford users experienced similar problems?

I have a theory that Tony is actually about to open a TAL shop!

In fairness I've been toying with the idea of a 100RS to go with my 100R and put them both on a SkyTee mount....hmmm, I wonder :)

Tony's TALescopes.

Got a ring to it, wouldn't you say?

BTW I'll be talking you into getting the 100RS by mid-week next week, don't you worry.

- Tony

PS If I were ever to go into selling TALs I'd do what I could to circumnavigate OVL because it strikes me they are not really interested in pushing the brand or serving the needs of those who buy into the brand in terms of after-sales care (replacement parts, TAL OEM extras, etc) I might even corner a niche market!

these scopes look the biz for the price..wonder if i could mount the 100rs on my telementor mount..help pls AndyH...

Nothing is impossible. I'm a great believer in trying to use as many scopes as possible on one mount, within reason. I do believe the Zeiss mount n tripod is rather lovely.

The Zeiss has a non std small dovetail if I remember correctly.

What's the length and weight of your Zeiss??

Tony's TALescopes.

Got a ring to it, wouldn't you say?

BTW I'll be talking you into getting the 100RS by mid-week next week, don't you worry.

- Tony

PS If I were ever to go into selling TALs I'd do what I could to circumnavigate OVL because it strikes me they are not really interested in pushing the brand or serving the needs of those who buy into the brand in terms of after-sales care (replacement parts, TAL OEM extras, etc) I might even corner a niche market!

Could you become a TAL importer for Norway?

No, its not your fault I am not technically minded, incidentally I have a Tal 1 4.5" reflector, its been languishing in my shed for about 17 years, I am going to start using it again, whilst this cold spell is here it saves all the hassle of cooling the frac Down & condensation etc. incidentaly, the mirror still looks pristine

3.4kg is the teley weight..and the dovetail is 1.3/8" x 9" long Andy..

We now know the Tal is 4.3kg, thanks to this thread,

so that's not much extra for the mount to bear. Length of the Zeiss tube?

I think it's doable to be honest. You'll need to get a machinist to mill you a length of bar that'll fit the saddle of your mount. This length then can have the tube rings bolted to it.

Great pic taken from this equally great site

http://whuyss.tripod.com/zeiss/index.html

portada-telementor4.jpg

Telementors are awesome.

This has got to be one of most enjoyable, random, all over the place, threads ever.

Not for you, Graham. Need to get you sorted mate. Righto. The fact that you say you have to sometimes give the drawtube a slight nudge to get it started again, does suggest to me that the tension of the shaft onto the base of the drawtube isn't tight enough. I've just had a fiddle with my crayford and I have to do the same if I haven't tensioned the screw up enough. Has the thumbscrew got any further left to go, or do you think it's gone as far in as it can? Have you a pair of pliers or 'mole grips'? If so try carefully using that to tighten it up a bit further. See if that helps.

On your other point. Do dust down your Tal 1 and give it a shot again. Great, great scopes.

I'll try cranking it up a bit in the morning & see how it goes. Your right my Tal 1 is a much underused piece of kit, but now I am retired lots of free time I am determined to get back into sky watching,all the help & encouragement this site provides can only be a plus.

Great thread Tony and good news on your Tal's , mate 3 of 'em , you dont do it by 1/2's do you ???

On the Telementors , hell yea ! I got one as well and use it ,,,

I picked up a 1 1/4 inch Edscorp Er20mm in an exchange for a Vixen LV2.5mm that I dont use because I have a 3mm TV Radian instead , anyway I used the Er20mm last night in my Telementor and blardy hell !!! , what a match made in heaven these 2 are so good together , its a keeper .

Photos Tony when yours arrive mate , and lots of 'em .

Brian.

Hi Brian! Glad you made it alive out of the New Year celebrations. I wish you could bottle up some of that warmth I've been reading about and send it up here. It's f-f-f-f-f-ree-eee---eee-z-z-z-ing here this morning. <teeth chattering>

Yes so much gear to get Brian, and so little time!

Unfortunately, out here in Norway there are next to no TALs - and certainly no stockists, so when going to the UK I'll make every opportunity to take back what I can. After 31st Jan, I don't know when I will next be back, but I will have plenty to keep me going! In any case, smaller items can be posted out to me.

Incidentally, the car sailed through its MOT check yesterday - I normally put aside a few hundred quid for various things that need putting right (I am not a car mechanic in any way shape or form and have to rely on the exhorbitant car service fees - mainly labour charges - when things need putting right) ... so my screwy way of budgeting means I feel I have "gained" some money for other things.

How bad and irresponsible does that sound?

We now know the Tal is 4.3kg, thanks to this thread,

http://stargazerslou...or/page__st__40

so that's not much extra for the mount to bear. Length of the Zeiss tube?

I think it's doable to be honest. You'll need to get a machinist to mill you a length of bar that'll fit the saddle of your mount. This length then can have the tube rings bolted to it.

Great pic taken from this equally great site

http://whuyss.tripod...eiss/index.html

portada-telementor4.jpg

Telementors are awesome.

Telementors are so very awsome ! .

These wont fit a vixen holder , I have tried , they are to small .

But a little 1/4 inch packing will make them fit .

The other way , unless you want to wreck the T-Mount a vixen dove tail wont fit . its a shame .

Brian.

Archived