NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bins - 10 x 25

Dizeee

Please confirm that, as I suspect, it is usless trying to see stars with a pair of simple bins like this?

I focussed on what I believe is Jupiter this evening but even resting against a fence post, the image is just bouncing all over the vision field.

Onwards to get a telescope me thinks...

I feel it should be said that some objects like open clusters can be better through a set of decent bins. Some of the best views iv had of M44 beehive cluster and M45 Pleiades have been through my 15x70 bins. The wide field of view with the low magnification can be a good thing. I would also say to not expect any major planetary detail with such low magnification however the 4 Galilean moons of Jupiter are a real treat with bins. All in all i would say that Binoculars compliment a scope nicely however with large bins comes the problem of weight and being able to hold them still enough. I would say a cheap tripod or monopod is a must with 15x70 bins.

Bins are great, but you my fine the 25mm objective to be a little on the small side, although you'll still see more than without. The wobbles will always be a pain, and the bigger and heavier the bins the worse it gets. I'd expect you should be able to see the Galilean moons of Jupiter with those without too much wobble though.

It's always going to be a bit bouncy. I usually rest my elbows on a signpost out in the fields where I do most of my bino observations.

Jupiter is not really showing anything but a small circular shape and hints of color. THe moons are clearly visible when you've rested yourself and start to get the vibration down.

However when you do get into the calm and the vibration is less you can start making stuff out. M42, M45, double cluster in perseus and beehive cluster are all super objects now. M31 is a familiar smudge and the moon is really amazing.

You should in theory be able to make the field of view stable to eliminate almost all vibration by resting your eblows on something. Last full moon I had the FOV so still I could see my heartbeats transmitting into vibration in the binos.

Interesting, I will go out and try and rest my arms on something. As its winter my viewing deck / table (or what will become this in spring) is shut away so im stuck for leaning posts other than a fence.

Ill try again and post up. Jupiter, if it was, was very small and I think even if I got the image still I would not be able to see much detail. If it is true that you think I would be able to make out the Galilean moons then I must be doing something wrong!

Interesting, I will go out and try and rest my arms on something. As its winter my viewing deck / table (or what will become this in spring) is shut away so im stuck for leaning posts other than a fence.

Ill try again and post up. Jupiter, if it was, was very small and I think even if I got the image still I would not be able to see much detail. If it is true that you think I would be able to make out the Galilean moons then I must be doing something wrong!

I find I get a much better viewing experience when sitting rather than standing when hand holding binoculars. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I find I get a much better viewing experience when sitting rather than standing when hand holding binoculars. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

Luckily according to the Stellarium Jupiter was right above my back door, so I leant on my stable door an looked through. Still shaky and it was but a [removed word] of light so even it was still it would be a poor image. No way could even make out the planet let alone the moons!

A reclining chair is essential for binocular stargazing (at least with straight-through bins). 25 mm aperture is small, but still gathers between 12.5x and 25x the light of a dark adapted eye (which ranges roughly from 5 to 7mm). That means you see object 2.75 to 3.5 magnitudes fainter than you would with the naked eye. Never forget: a small scope is better than no scope.

I went out tonight whilst it was crystal clear and managed to steady myself on the fence at shoulder height. Had a totally clear view of Jupiter - image was almost still and I realise that all it is is a slightly yellow dot, cant see anything else and def no moons. The bins are old and basic so not surprised. Also I notice my right eye sees a patch of messy light splat and my left eye is the one doing all the work. This makes it hard to really focus on it. My eyes have always been this way, v long sighted in my left eye.

I had a nice view of Jupiter tonight, just through my Mum's bird watching bins - 8x40. The magnification wasn't great obviously - Jupiter just appeared as a slightly larger star than the surrounding stars - you couldn't call it a disc. However, I could still make out three tiny pinpricks of light of (what I assume are) the three furthest out of the four main moons.

The Pleadies and the Orion nebula were easy to find and satisfying to look at too, despite the low magnification... The whole of Pleadies didn't take up more than a tiny proportion of the middle of my field of view...!

I've some good 10x25s for pocket birding, since I don't like to be cluttered while hiking. From our dark site I've seen M27, for instance, plus M31 of course, and some other DS objects. However, as above, they are too small for serious astro. I also think that there's an optimal weight for bins and that 10X25s are harder to hold still than slightly larger ones. They don't have enough inertia to soak up tremors. However, little bins like these have given me enjoyable starry sessions on my many long tours in dark places while cycle touring. Your pupil is likely to give 7mm aperture at most. The 25mm give you an increase of around 13X in light grasp. That's a lot...

Lying down on a recliner or the floor is essential in my book.

Olly

Hi Dizzee

If one eye is not focussing, have you adjusted the separate focus which is on the eyepiece? Normally one eyepiece can be separately adjusted. If you close this eye, focus using the centre focus, then close the other eye and focus using the eyepiece adjustment both eyes should focus together.

Also, no offence meant, are you sure you are not getting Aldebaran? Can you see Jupiter as a disk rather than a point of light? I am pretty sure I can get the Jovian moons in my 10x25's, will check next opportunity I have.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Dizzee

If one eye is not focussing, have you adjusted the separate focus which is on the eyepiece? Normally one eyepiece can be separately adjusted. If you close this eye, focus using the centre focus, then close the other eye and focus using the eyepiece adjustment both eyes should focus together.

Also, no offence meant, are you sure you are not getting Aldebaran? Can you see Jupiter as a disk rather than a point of light? I am pretty sure I can get the Jovian moons in my 10x25's, will check next opportunity I have.

Cheers

Stu

This is why I love posting up and learning, I had no idea that I could adjust each side separately! Just found out, so I am straight back outside to try again! Thanks.

Completely agree with the above about lightness making it harder to hold still, these weigh nothing, I do have a very steady hand but even resting with them the image is vibrating slightly,.

Def Jupiter, no doubt, see the (poorish) images I took on my hand held cam on full zoom the same night here:

Please confirm that, as I suspect, it is usless trying to see stars with a pair of simple bins like this?

Actually, no. I wouldn't say it's useless. Obviously you won't be splitting any exotic doubles, but solar system objects and clusters like the Pleiades, certainly.

For a time I was stuck with nothing except my bare eyes and a pair of low quality 8x23's and I still got some pleasurable observing done. For example you can make out the position of the main 4 Jupiter moons. It certainly beats naked eyeballs in that regard. Observing > not observing, in my book.

That said, binocs this small are not exactly recommended. A pair of 10x50's is a whole other level entirely.

Steve

Archived