Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red light advice please.

Hi, I have browsed the forums and seen lots of tips saying use red cellophane/nail polish/red tape/bicycle lamps etc. I really want to know if merely using red is enough to preserve night vision? Some red leds are really very bright, and I can't help thinking that the brightness must have some detrimental effect despite the redness.

I was at a stargazing event a couple of nights ago, and tried to look at a star map using the chap next to me's red light. I couldnt even hope to see by it, and I am blessed with 20/20 vision. I suppose it could have been one of those ones with adjustable brightness maybe.

How bright would my red light be allowed to be before I started upsetting other people? Obviously I don't want to ruin the night vision of myself or anyone else, but I still want to be able to see what I need to.

Thanks, Louise.

I have a Pretzel with a red lens that slides in front of the main white beam - its very good and I have had no complaints from others and it hasn't affected my viewing

They also have an adjustable mount that can be pointed downward so you dont disrupt other peoples viewing.

When you have done doing your stuff it can be easily switched off (they also have 3 brightness settings)

Hope this helps

Shaun

Recently bought 2 of these, both red:

Red LED Torch

When they arrived one was a deepish Red the other more Red/Orange, both are acceptable however the Red one was rather a deep read and for me made it a bit difficult to read by, someone else has it now and is happy with it.

At about the same time I purchased a bigger Red LED torch, elsewhere, it is Red but I could destroy your night vison at 200-400 yards away. Will say it is slightly more then I expected.

I find that a Red light shone at me wrecks my vision much as a white one does, it is amazing how many have a red head torch and shine it in your face.

Recall reading something about this and the artical reckoned a green one was better - single colour and your eyes are better at green then red so need a lower power. Interesting read.

If you go down the path of covering with film or painting then I would suggest one of these from Amazon:

Torch

They plug into the car supply and so are easy to keep charged and if kept in the car they are at hand when going to gatherings. I have 2 in the car at all times, not coloured as they are very useful.

Locating a Red LED Torch is difficult as many are white light but a Red body and many do not bother to specifically state they emit Red light.

I'd avoid the very bright torches if possible. Anything exceptionally bright is likely to affect your night vision. I used a mini maglite for a while with a red sweet wrapper held over the end with an elastic band and that was fine, but it's not the type that lights up the entire world when you switch it on. If it's bright enough to read notes by, to see the setting circles on your mount (if it has them) and to walk around without tripping over cables then that's sufficient. If it lights up the side of a barn at twenty paces then it's way over the top :)

James

This is the BRIGHT one I purchased:

Red Torch

Very good, solid, well made, absolutely no complaints, just remember it is BRIGHT if you decided to get one.

Think they do other ones.

They keep sending emails to check that everything is OK the problem is to leave a review you need to be an ebay member/account and I am not otherwise I would happy post saying very pleased.

The only thing that went wrong, if it could be called that, was I asked for a European type plug, they sent a UK one. Wanted to european as it meant I could have used it in Europe or the US and here I would simply have plugged it into an electric razor adaptor. Seemed a bit more versatile but seems someone actually read the order and went for safety - assumed I didn't know what I really needed. :grin: :grin:

If you want to blind people with a red light torch this is the one. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As an addition to James: This will light up the side of a barn at 200 paces, and does a pretty good job at 500.

First, I use a brighter red light for setup and break down of my telescope. I use a dimmer red light while observing. I also use charts with white stars on black background - less reflected light into my eyes but still legible at night. When using a laptop, I turn the brightness way down and use a red acrylic screen filter.

I have used a regular flashlight (torch) with layers of red rubylith plastic cut to fit inside the outer clear lens cover. That solution worked, but it produced a hotspot in the center of the light beam that was too bright, and it ate batteries. I moved from that to a red LED light with variable brightness setting. I've used that one for over 10 years - it really works well and does not consume batteries very quickly. The model I have has been updated. I think the updated model is Rigel Systems Mini Red LED as shown here: http://www.optcorp.c...t.aspx?pid=9438 . I hope it is available without obscene shipping cost where you live!

As regards being too bright for your observing neighbors, I'd point out 2 things:

1) If your light is too bright, your neighbors will let you know quickly.

2) If your light is too bright, your night vision is being affected.

Try to use as little light as you can reasonably work with. That is one of the reasons I prefer a variable brightness switch.

Good luck!

It's a good question from the original poster, and very thoughtful of you too.

Any light will have some effect on proper dark adaptation, and most red light torches are waaaay too bright to be helpful. At star parties you often see red head light torches. These are quite useful to the person wearing them, but to anyone unfortunate enough to look at them as the wearer moves around, they will be far too bright.

Ironically, the lit up handsets on many goto mounts are over bright as well if you want to see really faint stuff.

I use a modified mini maglite. I simply removed the LED bulb that came with it, and swapped it for a red one. Add in the red filter and the torch is useful, but not over bright. Even then just keep it pointed down at the maps, and turn off when you are done.

The important thing is to make sure you yourself are properly dark adapted, and then star maps etc are much easier to read by the faint light.

As a cheap quick fix, red insulation tape in a couple or three layers will cut down the glare from those red head lights, and is easily removed without marking.

Archived