Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How wide can I go ?

Stevie816

if you mean what is the widest piece of sky you could see with your scope then assuming you have a 2" focuser this would be with a 41mm 68 degree eyepiece. the 41mm Panoptic is often used for this. it would give about 1.1 degrees of sky. alternatively a 31mm Nagler would give 1.0 degrees and a slightly darker sky. neither are cheap but there are alternatives.

The Vixen NLVW 42mm seems to have the largest apparent field of view of any 2" eyepiece at 72 degrees. Assuming your CAT is a 254mm F/10 that would give you a 1.19 degree true field of view.

Explore Scientific are developing 3 inch eyepieces though so those will give a wider field when and if they hit the market.

If you are not too bothered by the 52 degree FOV the Televue Plossl 55mm is a cheaper way. With the 41mm panoptic and the 42mm from Vixen ther really is nothing in it. I have still got a 40mm Meade which is very good and would do fine, I have had it for sale for a long time in the classifieds, If you would like it PM me.

Alan.

Archived