NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first scope help

Hi there gonna have to admit to being a complete noob on whats the best scope for money and all that comes with it..

i have been doing a lot of research though and i have a possible budget of £400-£500..

i have toyed with the idea of a GOTO system but decided against that as it's just a gadget i could probably do without for now..

so my main choice is going to have to the sky watcher 200p dob or 250px now is there much difference between the 8 and 10 " for the cost , or am i better off getting the 8" and getting more toys to add to it..

also what collminator is worth buying is there easier ones to buy as i'm seeing laser ones?

any advice on filters and eye peices

i also have a great love for photography and own a sony alpha 290a dslr is it worth buying a t2 adapter for my sony, i have seen one with a x2 barlow built in is it worth the extra money..?

and my final question for now (sorry there are lots) is google sky map any good.. i had onefor my iphone that worked really well but i have changed phones and not had a chance to see if google works well..

in advance many thanks..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi there, I have been checking out the skywatcher 200p or the 150p as my second scope. the advice i got was make sure the mount is sufficient for the scope, so look at an EQ5, which can be upgraded with single or dual motors, synscan GOTO, and so on. lucky you for having a budget that big, money is always tight for me, so i'm having to scout round and find the best second hand deals. I found reading a few books such as the Philips astronomy series, the Patrick Moore's practical astronomy series, micheal covington's book on dslr astrophotography and my favourite, Turn Left At Orion.

Nat

Welcome to sgl 10" is better but 8" will be fine which will leave a few extra pounds for when you need new eyepieces. The photography with a dslr is not going to work too well with a dob unless you are doing the moon. you are much better off with a webcam as this lets you photograph planets as well. as to collimation have a look at our sponsor and look for cheshire collimators

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation.html. Can't help with skymaps as I don't own a phone.

Hi Nat

if i'm honest i hadnt planned on getting a secondary mount yet i was just going to use the supplied mount. you got me thinking now , would it be advisable to get a tripod with eq on?? i hadnt allowed for that in the budget ...

i'm still not convinced i need a goto system if google sky map works ok i should have much difficulty finding things to look at..although a slewing motor (i think thats the correct term) for imaging would be a nice upgrade at a later date..

the app dpes actually have night vision mode were the screen doms and all the stars show up red , although i'm not sure how it affects viewing.. at present i'm probably going to be using my garden as my viewing point i suppose light pollution would be a slight problem but that will be ok until i can join local club and use a dark site..

If you're getting everything brand spanking new from a well known dealer, the mount it comes on should be fine anyway. If you're going to be looking at a laptop screen to use google skymap, I'd suggest getting a sheet of red acetate and making a screen skin in order to preserve your night vision. I nearly decapitated my boyfriend with the DSLR tripod when he "helpfully" switched on his high powered torch on his smartphone to assist me in setting up my camera, and damned near blinded me, took about 20mins for my night vision to return....

Nat

On another note, the telescope that I wanted as my first scope was a Celestron nexstar 127 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-NexStar-127-Mak-Telescope/dp/B0038LX8XE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357570383&sr=1-1 My opinion was it was a great idea as a first scope, introducing me to the moon, planets, and the more noticeable DSO's. Also, celestron have a fab online video tutorial on how to combine your dslr to your scope: http://www.celestron.com/portal/articles/cat/support-videos/post/video-tutorial-on-attaching-a-camera-to-your-telescope/

Before buying anything, I would really recommend reading Philip's Stargazing with a Telescope by Robin Scagell, you will find yourself constantly going back to it whilst still a noob. I currently have it on my bedside table! HTH

Nat

Thanks for the advice Nat. Im about to buy that book as Im laid up with my ankle it will give me something to read.. As for Google maps its on my phone and has night vision setting.

I can only try when i actually get out eventually. Trial and error i suppose.

I will be linking to laptop with a web cam as well as eventually using a dslr but i think I'll get a top mount and use the camera for wide field shots. I do have done big lenses for my Sony so i think moon shots will look ok as standard..

Baby steps i think best get one bit right before jumping in deep.

I think that the price jump from 200P - 250PX is just too much to justify... I mean the jump from 150P-200P is palatable but 200-250 is just too much for me personally. Plus you'll have loads of money for EPs and accessories to bling up your noew scope ;)

Yeah that what Im leaning towards the 200p and add ons. Its surprising how much the filters EP and bits cost.

Just bought two books on kindle

A guide to the night sky by Patrick Moore. £2.99

Getting started with star gazing by john Philip hunter £1.91

Bargain if you have kindle.

Thanks for the advice Nat. Im about to buy that book as Im laid up with my ankle it will give me something to read.. As for Google maps its on my phone and has night vision setting.

I can only try when i actually get out eventually. Trial and error i suppose.

I will be linking to laptop with a web cam as well as eventually using a dslr but i think I'll get a top mount and use the camera for wide field shots. I do have done big lenses for my Sony so i think moon shots will look ok as standard..

Baby steps i think best get one bit right before jumping in deep.

As for webcam, you can save a pretty penny by modding a cheapo one, I'm buying a MS lifecam for 35 quid on payday (after buying my second hand newtonian), and getting the boyfriend to mod it for me, using the tutorial by someone who I think is called Gary Honis. But baby steps is good. I tried using the SkyMaps thing on my HTC, I didn't find it helpful (you might have better luck), but when I got the planisphere, it was so much easier, you can twizzle the layers around to the correct time of yr, then hold it up to the sky in the right direction - its that simple. Using the middle pages out of the Sky At Magazine are just as good, as well as showing you that month's highlights i.e where the planets are during that time, the radiants of scheduled meteor showers etc. I have two magazine bibles, and one of them is Sky At Night. It's a must.

Nat

Yeah that what Im leaning towards the 200p and add ons. Its surprising how much the filters EP and bits cost.

If you get, say two eyepieces with the scope, get yourself a 2x barlow, so then you have 4 different powers to use. Getting a filter set second hand isn't that hard. I got one for £45 from a guy I spoke to on this forum. They arrived within a fortnight from Portugal in spit-spot condition. Seeing the moon through the lunar filter is just breath taking! Keep you eye on ebay, astrobuysell.co.uk, and preloved for any second hand bargains.

Nat

Just checked out sherwoods for another person asking the same question as you. A skywatcher 150pl on a eq3-2 is £315, comes with 2 eyepieces and a 2x barlow. just add dual motors at £90, and a Tal filter set for £45, and you're armed and ready to go into combat! The 150 is what I'm looking at for my step up from a 90mm refractor. I think a 200p is too much to handle as a first-timer's scope, I'm only looking at one as a possible contender against the 150 as my second scope if a decent bargain comes up.

Nat

sounds like a good alternative.. but if i'm honest eq mounts scare me a little i think i will just get the skywatcher skyliner 200p with the alt-azimuth mount i can get it for £279 here: http://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-parabolic-telescope-p-8455.html ...

that comes with 10mm and 25mm , i can start with that and buy a collminator and x2 or x3 barlow lense learn the ropes save a bit more cash and possible add the goto eq mount in the future...

the only issue i have with the scope is it's very big the OTA is a monster and the base is quite bulky (well i think from looking at videos) would it be practical for me as i will be travelling to the local club...

It will be rather bulky, so good luck getting that in and out of the car! I'm looking forward to having an equatorial mount, I love my AZ4, but it would be nice to have the motors keep up with the viewing for me, and to sit my dslr on top of my scope for longer exposure shots to avoid star trails when I don't want them lol!

Good luck with the 200, let us know when you get it, and when it comes to first light.

Nat

will do nat thanks for all the advice ,

just hope i do make the right choice. i suppose there is always the option to get a lighter scope for going to sites and keeping the dob in my garden to help due to the light pollution..

Oh yes, there is that. That's part of the reason I'm not selling on my 90mm, it's a great grab n go. Although when I finally pass my test and get on the road, the boyfriend and I will start taking both out. Could do some ccd or afocal work on one, and then dslr on the other, and then boiling up some supernoodles on the camping stove too - multi-tasking is what women do best (apart from shopping and bitching of course). The 150 will be fine for me to handle on my own, but I don't think I could handle the 200 though.

Nat

xx

lol funnily enough my wife has started to take an interest and she never did this with fishing , ive got tents 5 season sleeping bags bedchairs and stoves from fishing so it could be a family thing,,i could buy us a joint 130/150 for travelling..

Well my boyfriend is my chauffeur (still not on the road and I'm nearly 26!!) and I'm trying to get him into astronomy, so when I do finally get driving (hopefully by September), he suggested that then, we could take one scope each in our cars. Another reason for keeping my Skyscout 90! If you like camping, taking the 150 with you to a camping site out in the sticks would be a great way to get away from the light pollution. I'm hoping to go on a road trip or two up north during this year with the camping stuff, and stake out the northern lights. If we got the space, I'll take one of the scopes if we got the space :D

Well my boyfriend is my chauffeur (still not on the road and I'm nearly 26!!) and I'm trying to get him into astronomy, so when I do finally get driving (hopefully by September), he suggested that then, we could take one scope each in our cars. Another reason for keeping my Skyscout 90! If you like camping, taking the 150 with you to a camping site out in the sticks would be a great way to get away from the light pollution. I'm hoping to go on a road trip or two up north during this year with the camping stuff, and stake out the northern lights. If we got the space, I'll take one of the scopes if we got the space :D

Find the space ;)

Buying used is a great way to get bargains and most of my kit is used. the best thing is that if for some reason it's not what you wanted you can often sell on at little or no loss.

Either an 8" or a 10" scope (or even a 6" scope for that matter) will provide great views of the sky with practice and patience (plus a good star map, a Telrad or other red dot finder and a right angle finder - a must with dobs I think).

I prefer my money in the optics (mirrors and eyepieces) rather than electronics and even manage to get my 16" dob into my small hatchback (if alone and with not much else). An 8" or even a 10" dob would easily fir in most cars, a 12" starts getting to be a bit of a test.

Try and sort out a seat too. The good thing about 8-10" dobs is that almost any garden chair will do as the max and min height does not vary that much unlike with an EQ mount. For me, unless you want to image, an EQ mount is not necessary or even desirable. The average dob mount is much more sturdy.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy it!

If you go for the dobsonian you may want to factor in other costs as people have said.

All approximate costs, but it could go something like:

• 200 / 250 dob: £300 or £450 (inc delivery)
  • Right angled finder (so you don't break your back looking up the scope): £65
  • Telrad/red dot finder (for "star hopping" and making sure you're in the right general area): £35
  • Seat: £35 (perhaps an "ironing stool" type with multiple height adjustments).
  • Eye Pieces: Maybe £45 for a widefield 32mm EPs for DSOs?
  • Turn Left at Orion book (spiral bound): £20

Not suggesting you /need/ all of those extas right now ... but I think you'd be looking at 1 or 2 of them (I've heard the right angled finder really is a must, but no personal experience), so perhaps for your budget the 200 would be better?

yes it does seem to be the route i'm going to take ,

as i'm going to be in my garden for the first few months due to my broken ankle ,and light pollution could be an issue ,so i think the 200p will do me great to start and get the best of everything, planetary and deep space with the right eye pieces and filters so thats where the extra budget will go for now..

i'm not majorly fussed on imaging just yet , as i said baby steps for now, then if i get my wife into it and she wants a scope , i'll probably go down the route of a decent scope with a goto synscan system which i could also "borrow" for imaging and travelling to local dark sites...

thanks to all for all the help and info given but i think i have made my decision (i think lol)

Archived