Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first scope help

Ok Im now going a little insane with options trying to get the best of both worlds is tricky..

I originally thought buy the 200p dob for general garden and dark site viewing. ..

Then i was eventually going to get a smaller scope with a tracking system for a go at imaging but i think this might work out expensive eventually..

I've now stumbled across the skywatcher explorer 200p on an eq5 mount. Now I've found it on ebay for £437 this would be in my new budget and give me few quid for EP..

It says in the description that the eq5 is motorized is this true for this model and price or is it a classic ebay imprint. The seller hasn't replied so i thought i might get sn answer quicker here.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right then so sorry about this i have listened to all your advice and youtube videos and read reviews (i'm off work with this broken ankle and have a lot of spare time)...

i have decided against a dob for now, as i would really like to get into imaging sooner rather than later ,, i also would like a goto system or at least auto tracking..to help with object finding and ability for longer exposures. i have decided to now go for a maksutov Cassegrain..

these are the three choices .. and im totally confused by them..

celestron nexstar 4 se

skywatcher skymax 127 synscan goto az

celestron nexstar 127 slt

my budget for scope is now £400 and i have another £100 for ep and extras..

could you please help me again with the best one of these three for solar viewing, imaging and maybe a little dso viewing..

again sorry to be a pain and thanks in advance..

The celestron 127 was the one I wanted as my first scope! I tried one out once, and loved it! I'm afraid that here, the advice I would give wouldn't be unbiased, but I really really had my heart set on one of those. For any solar viewing, you will need a filter that covers the main lens, DON'T use a solar eyepiece filter, my physics teacher back at college had one crack because of the concentrated energy directed through it. As for imaging, it's best if you listen to people more experienced in that sort of thing.

Nat xx

If you want to go into astrophotography, I don't think those mounts will be any good for DSO's, they will be ok for just lunar and planetary. That's the problem with my mount, hence my upgrading to a scope with an equatorial mount. I was looking at various mounts on retailers' websites, and decided that for the money a new equatorial mount will buy, I could get a scope with a much larger aperture than my current scope (no I don't have aperture fever - I am just stepping up :p ) on an EQ mount second hand, then just add the motors. Then, if I want to, I can add the GOTO system on the next payday. The SW130P is just a little larger in aperture compared to the SW 127 syn scan, its on an eq2 motorised mount for £200. the synscan system can be used to upgrade the mount for £295, comes with a red dot finder and 2 eyepieces, just add a barlow, and you're away! HTH

Nat xx

i think thats the reason i'm leaning towards the nexstar 4se because the mount is supposed to be mega stable, and the spares list you get with it is phenominal for AP..

spec taken from web:

The 4 SE includes a camera control feature that allows you to remotely take a series of timed exposures using your digital SLR camera. Plus the Flip Mirror Control, Straight Through Photographic Port and Tripod featuring a built-in wedge help make short-exposure astrophotography a heavenly experience.

I'll add my thoughts about the 4SE.

The 4SE is one of those scopes that's really not good at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none really. The mount is meant for visual observation as it's flimsy and causes field rotation when used photographicly. They say it themselves in the spec "short-exposure". You cannot really do much short exposure other than lunar with a DSLR on short exposure. For Jupiter you will be much better served by a webcam in movie mode because all the extra pixels a DSLR has are wasted due to magnification noise. And both lunar and jupiter photography is easily doable with any scope, especially one with larger aperture.

The 4SE apterture is small, really small, and you can get a lot better optics for the price. Even if they say that the scope comes with a database of this and that many objects, it's really only usable on a handful.

The manufacturer specs always lie.

So by buying the 4SE will not give you a mount for AP, or the aperture for observing and using that huge database of objects.

The only upside I see is that it's very compact and probably pretty easy to use once setup.

I'm not saying that the 4SE will be a bad scope for you, all I'm asking you is to consider getting something that's good in one area instead of being bad in all.

ok thats put the breaks on ? what about the 5se as i have found one of them available for auction.. ok then would either of the 127's be better? maybe i need to go back to the drawing board again this really is confusing..

ok thats put the breaks on ? what about the 5se as i have found one of them available for auction.. ok then would either of the 127's be better? maybe i need to go back to the drawing board again this really is confusing..

The 5se and the 127 has a bit more aperture, and is a little better as alround pieces.

What is it that you really want to do? Visual observation, planetary photography or deepspace photography?

For visual a dob any day of the week. Give's you superior optics for the price.

For planetary, the MAK 127 isn't bad, but its a setup at an evolutionary dead end because the mount doesn't scale well if you want to upgrade optics. It wont give you super good visual performance compared to a dob, and you cannot do any long exposure photography. It's still a good little allrounder if you're aware of the limitations.

For DSO AP, you're looking at atleast 635€ to get a tracking mount that is somewhat stable and upgrade proof http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html

Don't be alarmed by the confusion. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted, so just take it easy, research, ask questions and rest that ankle :) It's a huge investment. Dont rush it.

Do you know it's really annoying how right and sensible you all are lol..

i have time to think so i'll use it.. maybe a DOB isnt such a bad idea, i could learn the art of nudging with a webcam and registax , and leave the dslr stuff alone until i can afford a good scope and mount for the job..

i can then view DSO and planetary and it leaves me spare cash for additional EP and dew shield and maybe a better star scope and i nice collimator..

:rolleyes: looks like i've gone full circle..lol

Hehe thats usually what we all do, go a few circles in your heads before we find the right piece of equipment.

Yes, a dob would be a very good choice since it's really good. A 200p dob is potentially a scope for life. I always try to make investments that don't become redundant quickly. And a few EP's, collimator and maybe a telrad on top of that...

If you decide to get an AP mount like the HEQ-5 or the NEQ-6 you could probably stick the tube from the dob on top of it with the right set of rings and dovetails, even though I would recommend a smaller tube like the 150PDS or ED80 Refractor to start AP.

And before you start looking deeper into AP, be sure to read Steve Richards book 'Making Every Photon Count'.

Hi there all, I a in the same boat as the original poster. I have been into astronomy for over 2 years; I live in Lancashire in the UK, I have books and pamphlets on the subject. I have seen the sky at night on and off for 20 years, I also watch the BBC stargazing program when it comes onto the TV. Up till now I have only looked at the stars with basic binoculars. Now I feel is the time to purchase a telescope. I have been on several web sites and the one I am drawn too is the Skywatcher 150PL (EQ3-2) price £299. The reason for this is that the Late Great Sir Patrick Moore endorsed them. For the time being, I am only really interested at looking at the planets and stars, but I am interested in taking photos of them. Please can someone inform me if I am wasting my money and should I be looking elsewhere?

Hi there all, I a in the same boat as the original poster. I have been into astronomy for over 2 years; I live in Lancashire in the UK, I have books and pamphlets on the subject. I have seen the sky at night on and off for 20 years, I also watch the BBC stargazing program when it comes onto the TV. Up till now I have only looked at the stars with basic binoculars. Now I feel is the time to purchase a telescope. I have been on several web sites and the one I am drawn too is the Skywatcher 150PL (EQ3-2) price £299. The reason for this is that the Late Great Sir Patrick Moore endorsed them. For the time being, I am only really interested at looking at the planets and stars, but I am interested in taking photos of them. Please can someone inform me if I am wasting my money and should I be looking elsewhere?

Hi Jaugarxjsport, you should make a thread in the welcome forum so we can give you a proper welcome, and then make a post about your questions in the right sub forum. People might miss this post you made. Welcome.

I'm not saying a 200p on eq5 is ideal for ap (in fact i'm saving for an neq6) but i will say its not useless. this was taken with one and a canon 1100d (also entry level but more than adequate).

obviously you will need one with motors and a lot of patience. not as good as many on here but not terrible either.

Scott

jealous , i would be amazed if i could do imaging like that , i'd be happy for a few years and in that time i'd hopefully be able to save up for better equipment,,,

i have to look at all option again and take my time..

not sure im allowed to ask but is there anywhere that sell second hand equipment , exception of ebay and gumtree.. maybe a shop or something like tackle trader... i cant acces the classifieds here yet and would like to browse second hand options..

well after long deliberations and losing loads of auctions on ebay lol..

i have eventually bought a skywatcher explorer 200p on a an eq5 mount,, i'm probably going to have to upgrade the mount eventually but i'm hoping it will be ok for now.. also think i'll invest in dual axis drives...

have to say i'm well excited to get all of this now the best thing is it's my birthday... yayyyy

Archived