Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1499 First go in Ha WIP

Tommy B

Got a chance a couple weeks ago to try out my new Atik 314L+ MONO with a 7nm Hydrogen Alpha filter so decided to point at the massive California Nebula and see what would come out.

I've never imaged in narrowband and was really pleased to see a really strong signal on my screen in as little as 60 seconds at f/6.25.

Realizing just how big this nebula was through my Equinox ED80 I thought it would be cool to try a mosaic.

Had a little trouble with focus which I'm unable to tell if it was a result of the weather or a lack of skill on my part but I am really pleased with the detail I've managed to capture.

So here is 3 panes in Ha of the California nebula...with more to come in the future :)

All criticism welcome.

Details:

10 x 500s for each pane with Atik 314L+mono and Equinox ED 80

10 x 500s Darks but no bias or flat frames.

PHD guiding with Orion star shoot and 50mm finder

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in Photoshop 7.0

Tommy B.

post-11197-0-09219500-1357416979_thumb.j

Looks great Tommy, seamless integration of the three panes....not tried a mosaic myself - so hats off to you for that!

You've gone pretty deep as well - I can clearly see that 'E/€' in the right third pane.

Damian

Thanks guys. The three panes were quite a hassle to match up, especially the third pane on the right as it was captured on a seperate night and needed some rotation. I'm really buzzed at the idea of adding colour too but may wait until I have a hyperstar setup so I don't have to spend the next year on it!

Great job Tommy - that's seamless. I've never done a DSO mosaic, but that's inspired me to have a go - did you align the panes manually?

Yes the panes were aligned manually in photoshop. There is a considerable overlapping of the frames due to me being paranoid during the capturing and wanted to make damn sure I wouldn't have any gaps. I used the eraser tool in photoshop with a diffused and blotchy brush shape to create the blend between the overlapping frames.

Gina: I have seen many of your images posted and I have no doubt whatsoever that your work will continue to get better and better. Being able to see the progression of peoples efforts as they explore this hobby has been the most helpful and encouraging thing for me on this site and I am very thankful for it.

Archived