NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Source for Celestron power tank 12v Lightbulb

Hi Everyone

Cannot believe I am having so much trouble sourcing a 12Volt lightbulb with the correct fitting for a Celestron powertank.I have tried Halfords B and Q and looked on fleabay.Any help greatly appreciasted but no one seems to have the correct bulb for the smaller top lamp on the Celestron powertank.

Halfords tell me that they are becoming obselete because of the led market so does this mean I will have to write it off?seems crazy I cannot get a lightbulb I use the red light section most of all to illuminate my garage whilst i set up my scope,anyone know of a source for these bulbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks folks

If you fail to find the correct bulb for the top light on the power tank, a simple solution is to make a removable red filter for the bottom white LED torch (similar to how you would make a solar filter with a sheet of solar film). A sheet of red acetate from a craft shop will do. The full set of LED's on the bottom torch are brighter anyway and you will see better when setting up. Just dont forget to attach the filter you make (if you decide to do so) before setting up.

Another alternative is to buy a red/white LED head torch from a DIY store. They cost less then £5. No need to write the power tank off.

Why not fit a red led , or two, or three, and a resistor?

Or have you tried a proper car spares shop, rather than Halfords.

These guys are talkng rubbish. OK the lamps are being gradually replaced by led. But the led has the same base (fitting).

It has to, otherwise you would have to scrap the car!

Thanks for your replies guys most helpfull .i think the bottom lamp is an halogen bulb,and its not a bad idea to convert to leds ,but it just is so annoying that these days its difficult just to change a bulb!!I think I have found a source online but I am not 100% sure but will give it a try for the price.

I'd go to a proper independent motor factor who may be able to order it in as there's bound to be a car like it. Alternatively get a led with the same fitting or just use a red head torch:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Hi if it's E10 have a look at this site. E10 LED bulbs galore, all different colours.

We need to find out the correct base size.

I will take mine to Priceless tools in Bexhill when I'm over there next time.

Absolute gold mine for that odd screw nut and bolt a proper iron monger type shop.

• 2 years later...

Archived