NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

15x70 or 15x85 Apollos.....????

kirkster501

^^^^^

I might be coming into a £500 bonus to put towards a pair of bins and a tripod :-) I can spend a bit over that, say £700ish.

Tetenterre really rates the 15x70 as does Michael. Now that counts for a lot IMO and I take their advice on board big time. But eh, why not go for the 15x85? But would I lose some of the usefulness and ease of use of bins were I to do that? I feel the 15x85 might be stepping slightly outside the mainstream body of experience..... ?

I want a good set of bins and a tripod to use whilst I am in the middle of nowhere for wide field views with my imaging rig grabbing the light :) I can't take my CPC scope/EP's on such visits. These will be very heavily used bins for astro so I want to get this right. Wide field views is what I am after. And I am a stickler for quality above all else.

Were I to go for the 15x70's what would I need to get for the tripod/bracket? - preferably from FLO since I like them greatly after looking after me with a scope mount issue.

Many thanks and HNY, Steve

Well, I've no direct experience of either, but if used in the middle of nowhere, your exit pupil will be close to maximum, and assuming that the aperture is exactly 85mm and 75mm, the exit pupil on the former (15x85) may be preferable, and it's only 5.6mm :)

HTH

Steve,

The 15x85 are certainly good, I have a pair of these and I'm very pleased with them. One thing you may wish to consider is the difference in weight and hence a stable enough tripod to hold them steady. The 15x7o are only 2.5kg where as the 15x85 are 4.8kg, I think I spent more on a Manfrotto tripod and head than the bins actually cost.

Cheers

Neil

Tetenterre really rates the 15x70 as does Michael. Now that counts for a lot IMO and I take their advice on board big time. But eh, why not go for the 15x85? But would I lose some of the usefulness and ease of use of bins were I to do that?
I haven't used the 15x85, so some of what follows is surmise that is not based on actual experience of the binocular itself (but is based on experience of quite a wide range of binoculars and mounting options):

The 15x85 is nearly twice the weight of the 15x70. This means it requires "serious" mounting. Whereas the 15x70 can be hand-held for short periods, the same would not be true (for me, anyway) of a 10lb binocular like the 15x85. The 15x85 would definitely be too heavy for the cheap monopod and trigger-grip ball-head combo I use with the 15x70 (it's pushing the limit with the 15x70). As it's a straight-through binocular, you will ideally observe seated; standing to observe anything higher than about 45* becomes rapidly uncomfortable. This means that you need either a parallelogram mount (and with a 10 lb binocular, you really need one of the Universal Astronomics ones or to make your own) or some sort of binocular chair option. This immediately compromises portability. However, if you are going for this option, you might want to consider the 22x85: you would lose little and (IMO) gain a lot.

Well, that's my £0.02 worth. It would be a good idea to see if you can find someone who has the 85mm one so you can get some opinion based on actual experience.

Edit: Cross-posted with neilm.

For your £700 budget you could also consider Canon IS 15x50's. These wouldn't need a tripod or P mount - just a comfy recliner. Despite the smaller aperture, these are seriously good binoculars for astro use by virtue of their excellent optics and coatings.

They have great contrast and I actually prefer them over 16x70's in light polluted skies, although the larger aperture is preferable under dark skies.

The Apollo's look similar in style to my Opticron (nitrogen filled etc) which are Japanese Vixen clones, however mine are 20x80's

I can hand hold these for short periods but they need a good tripod (I have the http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/berlebach-report-8023-ash-wood-tripod.html but there are bigger ones ), used to have a carbon fibre tripod but the vibration was awful when fully extended to head hight and I got rid of it (it was fine for normal photography when not fully extended)

Me personally I would go for a 15x70 unless you get a really good tripod and head, make sure you try it extended, aperture is great but useability is a big plus

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going for the Apollo 15x70's - I am 99.9% sure now. Nice though I am sure they are I am not trying to recreate a portable telescope which I fear the 15x85 might be.... I might lose the very portability that I crave if I got the 15x85.

A question of deciding whether monopod or tripod is the way to go. I like the monopod idea but wary of keep having to put it down whilst attending to my imaging rig. But tripod sounds awkward once above 60% as tetenterre says.... Doh, what to do....?!

I like the monopod idea but wary of keep having to put it down whilst attending to my imaging rig.
Assuming that you are using a monopod so you can observe seated, the seat becomes a perfect receptacle for the binocular when your posterior has vacated it!

Also, re tripods, note that some heads do not go above about 60*; you can sometimes get around this by reversing them (because they are often intended to go from -90* to +60*).

The monopod takes some (value of "some" dependant on altitude of observed object -- need to lean back for high objects, putting the monopod at an angle to the vertical) of the weight of the binocular.

Here's the set-up with an observing chair (also sometimes use with recliner; greater angle of monopod lean, but very comfortable).

monopod.png

Not sure about 15x85, advantage with slightly more brightness and bigger exit pupil, but extra weight will be noticeable. You can pick up a pair of Skymaster 15x70 for less than £100, and a decent tripod would give you plenty of change out of your £500

I have bought the 15x70's. Now i cannot decide whether to go for monopod or go for an upmarket Manfrotto Tripod and Head....

With our utter joke of weather in the UK of late the need for bins as never been more pressing ! I am even thinking of off-loading my entire visual setup in favour of bins....

Archived