Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 150 Dob with zoom

EBXL5

Hi all, I'm after a little help if possible.

I have a Skyliner 150 dob with standard EPs and am seeking to enhance the scope potentially with a Baader Hyperion Zoom and Hyperion 2.25x Barlow combination. I know it's a bit steep but I got the scope as a present so currently the whole setup has cost me nothing.

I am blown away with being able to view Jupiter and its moons with my current setup but would love more detail and size whilst future proofing for larger scopes and not having the expense of lots of different EPs.

I'm new to forums and stargazing so apologies if this is poorly phrased or in the wrong section.

Any help or experience with the equipment mentioned would be great, thanks in advance.

The EPs that come with the scope are good for LP (25mm) and medium power (10mm). For a HP EP, a 5 or 6mm will work fine. Generally, zoom EPs are inferior in optic quality as a trade-off for the zoom function so I would stay away from them. If the 2x barlow is used with what you have now, it will give you 12mm and 5mm - getting to 5mm is good but getting a 12mm from the 25mm is so close to the 10mm alone that it would be a waste of money. So the best upgrades you can do is look for a wide field EP of around 32mm (a quality brand) for observing large objects and a quality 5mm for a HP EP that's at the high power limits of your scope.

In terms of high power I agree that a fixed 5 or 6mm EP will be the best route. If you give us an idea of budget and if you wear glasses to view ( as eye relief can be an issue for HP EP's - we can explain that more if need be) we can recommended some.

For the rest, personally at your stage for a zoom I would follow Oily's lead and get a Seben 8-24 zoom. At around £50 they are much less than the Hyperion. We just got one ( they sell via Amazon) as a general 'what lengths do I use' experiment before maybe buying some more quality EP's at fixed lengths. The issue with it for me is that it's edge flaws show in my fast scope but I think yours is c. f8 so much more forgiving.

I'd get that, find what lengths you use most and work for you and then over time upgrade to fixed pieces at those lengths for your 'future proofing' .

The Hyperion zoom is an expensive investment (but cheap if you break the cost down compared to owning the same range of EP's costing say £30 each). Of late here, a couple of people have bought the Seben zoom and are really happy with it. Usually everyone here will say "avoid Seben products like the plague", but it seems the Seben zoom EP, is the one thing Seben got right.

My personal experience with the Hyperion zoom is that it is dead handy and i dont need to carry a case full of EP's with me. However it is a bit soft on focus on the 8mm magnification...........which is what i mainly use for observing planets, so i have to use a fixed focal length EP for that.

I say try the Seben zoom. At £50...............its worth a punt and it seems to be ok by those who own one.

Cheers for the advice everyone, this is a fantastic group of people with so much knowledge to offer its truly amazing.

After much tribulation I have taken a punt on a Baader Zoom and Barlow combo from FLO and will report back with my opinions after a clear night or two.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Managed to get out tonight and try out my new Baader Zoom, it's amazing the difference it's made over the stock EPs. There is so much more detail and the ability to simply "bracket" the correct EP setting is awesome.

I even managed to wander my way onto the Orion Nebula (or M42 as I should probably call it?) more by luck than anything else as I've never seen any DSOs before and I just bimble my way around the sky on a bit of a random journey.

Next step is definitely a filter of some description, probably a Neodymium one as even Jupiter was too bright to be viewed comfortably.

Looking forward to getting a lunar wander sometime to try the Zoom further.

My personal experience with the Hyperion zoom is that it is dead handy and i dont need to carry a case full of EP's with me. However it is a bit soft on focus on the 8mm magnification...........which is what i mainly use for observing planets, so i have to use a fixed focal length EP for that.

That's interesting Paul. I'm aware the zoom has a narrower fov at 24mm so that some folks are using a seperate widefield eyepiece but do you mind me asking what you use at 8mm?

I can only think that for a filter, you should buy a UHC.............the Skywatcher one works amazingly.

Which size filter do I need for the Baader Zoom?

Im using it in a 2" fit so I thought a 2" filter but with the compatible Barlow fitted i guess it has to be an 1.25" filter.

Filter choice seems to be a massive can of worms....

my 5 pennies on hyperion zoom.

I have 250px dobs and also took the plunge for Hyperion zoom with the barlow.I use them on 2" and it is simply awesome.i had my first session with it yesterday evening and loved it.images are sharp with or without the barlow,focus is a breeze and the possibilities of zooming in /out are great specially for new starter.I agree with the other posters that single lens solution hands down will win any zoom lens for image quality,also a larger 28-30+ lens will be required (low power) and if you can afford also either 5 or6mm for really close-ups,however,barlowed zoom lens does go down to 3mm anyway and i personally found it a bit too much as i struggled to keep the focus sharp at 3-4mm range(but thats me personally).But general impressions: superb lens and if barlowed superb combo and definitely an option to consider if you are on a budget and are not prepared to spend hundreds of pounds on good single lenses.

Again,dont get me wrong,if i had unlimited resources with out a doubt I would get a full set of tele vues over the zoom option.

Archived