Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Evostar 80 ED DS PRO for Astroimaging

I've been imaging with my Celestron C11 for a while with good results but now want to add a scope for wide angle images. I'm assuming the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS PRO apo is a fairly safe cost effective bet, but anyone any thoughts?

Assuming this is one to go with, does anyone know if a focal reducer should be used with it? I think SW do a x.85 one. Also, how do you attach a DSLR? I saw a review suggesting the focused comes with an adapter for a camera?

Thanks

Neil

I use the reducer Laser_Jock mentions. I also use this push-fit adapter from FLO http://www.firstligh...l-reducers.html. Not only does it make mounting the reducer a darn sight easier (it would normally have to screw fit ono the focuser drawtube), but it has a 2" filter thread on the end as well. Makes it an easy job to add a LP filter into the optical train. The Skywatcher LP filter is relatively inexpensive in its 2" form and does an OK job http://www.firstligh...ion-filter.html. It's not as good as a CLS filter, but then it's not the same price either! ;)

Hi Andy, I was actually thinking about both options, attaching the camera with an without the FR. How would you attach it with the FR on? On my C11 the FR has the same thread as the telescope back, and I use a specific SCT cconnector, however this doesn't allow any filters to be added.

The SW focal reducer has an M48 thread, which is why you need their M48 T-ring for DSLRs. When I use my Canon, it goes like this:

Canon camera body->M48 T-ring->SW Focal Reducer->FLO pushfit adapter->SW 2" LP filter->push fit into focuser drawtube.

If you don't use FLO's pushfit adapter, then you screw the FR directly onto the drawtube. The downside with doing it this way is you can't add a 2" filter. Which is why I don't use this method.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Andy about the push fit adapter - apart from adding filters it also lets you rotate the camera easily should you need to. To use the camera without the diagonal you will need a 50mm extension tube, the focusser has enough movement to make up the difference and allow you to achieve focus.

The SW LP filter works well on yellow sodium light pollution very well - you would need something different if your pollution source is different.

Overall the ED80 is a really good little scope for widish field photography.

Sorry to be thick, but it sounds like Andy's train goes into the diagonal? Otherwise you need the extension tube?

When using the FR you don't use the diagonal. The FR screws (or pushfits with FLO's adapter), straight into/onto the focuser. No diagonal.

You only need the extension tube if you don't use the FR.

I recently bought the Altair APO which also uses the 2" M48 fitting

I have a 2" Astronomik filter screwed onto the back of the flattener then I screw a M48 to T2 adapter (I bought mine from Altair Astro) into my cameras T2 adapter

everything is screw fit, worked for me

so its M48 draw tube -> M48 flattener, M48 optional focal plane adjuster, 2" filter, M48 to T2 adapter, T2 , camera

Not exactly the same as the Sky Watcher reducer, but this Altair Astro reducer set up is similar:

Dscf6462_1024.jpg

TELESCOPE - REDUCER - 2" FILTER - M48 CAMERA ADAPTOR - CAMERA

The point of the focal reducer having an M48 thread (as opposed to a standard T2 type thread) is that you can if required put a 2" filter here.

Another voice concurring that, for the money, the ED80 is hard to beat. I doubt you'd want to use it without the flattener, though, because with a DSLR you'd need to crop the distorted corners out and the F ratio is rather slow.

FLO do the scope without the visual bits which they are prepared to sell on separately. That's a good offer on their part.

Olly

Archived