Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grinding mirrors on an industrial scale

kirkster501

Probably since the machines are mostly automated there would be little variation in the end result, with the effect that they aren't to a very high standard (like 1/10pv). OO UK by contrast was a small operation and machines were DIY built and adjusted by hand for each mirror so every mirror was different and took different amounts of time to figure.

Really interested how the likes of Celestron, SW, Meade etc can grind out these precision mirrors on such a huge scale!

Anyone got on info on how they do it please?

Merry xmas,

Rgds, Steve

I spend a lot of time in Asia working on ground and polished optical surfaces (not telescopes). As people have said it essentially comes down to lots of machines and cheap labour - this is not a bad thing at all. Quality control needs to be strictly enforced and controlled and that can take lots of effort. Its remarkable what Chinese / Taiwanese companies can do in mass production when they really want to.....

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its utterly incredible. We are just watching the workers do their thing but someone had to design this process and the machines used. Amazing - thanks for posting the videos Steve. With mirrors they'd surely have to grind out like an amateur mirror maker would I'd imagine? Then go down through progressively smaller grades of grinding powder then a lap and polish. Wow....

Mirrors made commercially are either pre-molded to curve or diamond wheel generated. In either case, the finish is good enough to require just a fine grind and polish. Polishing can be done in multiples on the same machine and there are no doubt machines that will reliably parabolize mirrors reliably to an acceptable quality level.

Probably since the machines are mostly automated there would be little variation in the end result, with the effect that they aren't to a very high standard (like 1/10pv). OO UK by contrast was a small operation and machines were DIY built and adjusted by hand for each mirror so every mirror was different and took different amounts of time to figure.

I purchase thousands of 1/10th wave (and better) optics from the Far East every month. Quality seems to improve year on year but consistancy is always our biggest problem. It's a mistake to think that Far Eastern optics are always going to be inferior to Western made parts. It's also a mistake to assume that one batch of optics will be the same as the last ones you had! Whilst there might be a place for expensive, hand figured optics you have to remember that mass production has brought affordable astronomy (& photography for that matter) to millions of people and that must be a good thing?

I purchase thousands of 1/10th wave (and better) optics from the Far East every month. Quality seems to improve year on year but consistancy is always our biggest problem. It's a mistake to think that Far Eastern optics are always going to be inferior to Western made parts. It's also a mistake to assume that one batch of optics will be the same as the last ones you had! Whilst there might be a place for expensive, hand figured optics you have to remember that mass production has brought affordable astronomy (& photography for that matter) to millions of people and that must be a good thing?

Well summarised from someone that obviously has first first experience of optics made in Asia.....

I'm off to Shenzhen again in two weeks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived