Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making the Heritage Mount + OTA easy to transport.

Naemeth

After a long time of searching through the various options of making the Heritage 130P more portable (mostly including getting a new mount), including asking many people (FLO mainly, Moonshane has been very helpful too!) I have decided on using a hold-all (a big one!) as it will be a fairly cheap option. However, I am making this thread to design my hold-all (which I will buy) to be heavily padded (don't want to knock anything though transport) so it will have one "section" for the mount, and one section for the (collapsed) OTA, if I can get a bag big enough I'd like to add somewhere to keep my eyepieces, but that's optional. I'm probably looking on spending a maximum of around £30 - £40.

Essentially, the padding will probably consist of many layers, probably as follows:

Cardboard, Neoprene, Carrier Bag Layer, Neoprene, Cardboard, Neoprene.

The bag really needs to have these features:

Ability to hold 10kg (Mount and OTA is about 7kg, and eyepiece box is about 1 - 1.5kg probably) and not break

Shoulder strap or wheels

Around 50cm (L) x 40cm (W) x 30cm (D) minimum

Good value

I might add red lights too if I'm feeling bold at some point.

Has anyone got any other ideas of a good shock absorbent material?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such a simple idea it's probably stupid. could you not wrap the tube in bubble wrap and put it in a sports holdall

While I could do that, I want it to be easy to put in and take out, so I will slightly modify the holdall so I don't need the bubble wrap :).

Do you mean something like a tube that you can slip it in and out of like a sort of extended dew shield

Think of an eyepiece case - it has compartments you can put your eyepieces in, in the same way, this will have two main compartments, one to put the OTA in and one for the Mount.

Sorry Naemeth I am a bit dimmer than usual tonight could you put a pic of the type of holdall you are buying

Probably this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Large-Wheeled-Trolley-Holdall/dp/B009DNUDWK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ap_9

I'm talking truly transportable (i.e. Walking), it's already fine for car portability, very compact in it's box, but that box is bigger than the Mount and OTA, and is not too easy to walk with.

HTH :).

I think this is definitely the way to go for your particular scope. another aspect to consider is something a little more robust as then you could potentially set the scope on top of it and it would raise it to a more convenient eyepiece height. just an option but might make it more tricky. when we discussed this, I had in mind a sports holdall as they are light and can be quite big.camping mat would be a good liner.

I think this is definitely the way to go for your particular scope. another aspect to consider is something a little more robust as then you could potentially set the scope on top of it and it would raise it to a more convenient eyepiece height. just an option but might make it more tricky. when we discussed this, I had in mind a sports holdall as they are light and can be quite big.camping mat would be a good liner.

I had thought about a sports holdall, but most that I found were too small, and I wanted plenty of extra space.. I'll try and give camping matt a go if I can get some cheaply :).

Archived