Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making the Heritage Mount + OTA easy to transport.

Naemeth

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A round plastic food container might work nicely for holding EPs and sit in he OTA. Find one the right size, stick a foam insert in with cut-outs for your bits and pieces and you're sorted.

James

Might it not touch the secondary or the primary? Neither of which I'd want obviously.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a lot of things have not happened. I haven't managed to do any work on it, what with Uni work and various holidays. I have found much cheaper Neoprene/Foam that I can use to line it, here. Which should save a lot of money :smiley: .

In addition, I'll also have to have space for my new RACI (waiting on some things to stick it on the OTA now, I've really been spoiled by the service at FLO :rolleyes:).

Okay, so I did a bit. It takes quite a bit of cardboard to line the bag. Probably about 1/3 lined, once it's all lined it should be quicker progress. I bought more glue, and got 10 sheets of that foam, hopefully it should be enough (I probably want to have 3 layers of foam)!

IMG_2582_zpsee485383.jpg

one thing to check is how strong the bag looks and whether it would take the weight. I suspect the handles will be stronger thank the strap but you could always work out a support for the strap.

Sorry Shane, I completely missed that. It looks fairly strong, but I certainly will look into a support once it's looking more finished :).

I don't know where you will actually get it from where you live but you can get hold of 2 blocks of foam, one for the bottom, one for the top. Then taking your time, slowly cut appropriate holes/spaces for the OTA, mount and EP's or EP case. The foam comes in a variety of densities and is not that hard to cut, although an electric carving knife would make the work a lot easier.

I used to work in a factory that converted foam blocks into alsorts of wonderful shapes, so I know this is quite easily do-able and would save a lot of faffing around glueing and so on. Finally and most important, It would also give you superb protection of teh OTA and other bits as there would be no jolting around inside the foam pads.

Baz

NB, I looked and found a price for you. Two blocks at 38", 8" by 7.5" would cost you £11 each. I got the sizes from the link to ebay above, so assuming thats what you need. Then scoop out the middle, put in your scope and away you go. I would use the medium density foam btw, or you could use the packaging foam maybe at £1 extra. http://www.anyfoam.c...width=8&unit=in

I don't know where you will actually get it from where you live but you can get hold of 2 blocks of foam, one for the bottom, one for the top. Then taking your time, slowly cut appropriate holes/spaces for the OTA, mount and EP's or EP case. The foam comes in a variety of densities and is not that hard to cut, although an electric carving knife would make the work a lot easier.

I used to work in a factory that converted foam blocks into alsorts of wonderful shapes, so I know this is quite easily do-able and would save a lot of faffing around glueing and so on. Finally and most important, It would also give you superb protection of teh OTA and other bits as there would be no jolting around inside the foam pads.

Baz

NB, I looked and found a price for you. Two blocks at 38", 8" by 7.5" would cost you £11 each. I got the sizes from the link to ebay above, so assuming thats what you need. Then scoop out the middle, put in your scope and away you go. I would use the medium density foam btw, or you could use the packaging foam maybe at £1 extra. http://www.anyfoam.c...width=8&unit=in

Thanks for the help, I think I'll do the gluing some of the way, and put a foam block down afterwards :).

• 4 weeks later...

While I could do that, I want it to be easy to put in and take out, so I will slightly modify the holdall so I don't need the bubble wrap :).

Hi,

Do you want to buy a telescope?

Its in real good condition and its got every........

(Only joking, I saw the comment on the bottom of your post about not letting you buy anything)

Anyway, my other hobby is music, and I have a large box which house my Light Show equipment.

It is made from a durable material, and has carry handles.

It is a long box with a lid which attaches with buckle straps, nice and easy.

like this one;

http://cpc.farnell.com/protex/case30/flight-case-large-par-cans-par/dp/DP29066

Or a soft style bag for Music/DJ Lighting Equipment like this bag

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/544143.xml

Made for protecting gear rather than holding wet towels and sports tops.

Keep Looking Up

C ya

Archived