Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a difference a dark sky makes!!!

ian_j_kirk

With the prospect of a clear, crisp night, no work today, and a newly found dark sky site, last night i decided to take the scope out and see what i was missing. Despite the dark sky spot being a half hour drive away and the temperature quickly dropping, i jumped in the car and went for it.

Boy am i glad i did. The improvement in the orion nebula was amazing. Instead of a bright hazy patch of light surrounding four stars, the amount of detail i saw was astounding. The overall area was 3 times the size, with the structure of the nebula now easily identifiable and i could make out M43 for the first time. Definitely another wow moment.

the andromeda galaxy also appeared to double in size and brightness, with the core standing out slightly more.

With the improvements i was seeing, i tried my luck with M1, however that was where my good fortune ended. it still looked like a very feint, mottled patch of light.

On the whole though, a very enjoyable night. i thought that i would share my experience with you guys and hope that if any newbies like myself are pondering going to a dark sky site but maybe wondering whether it is worth it, i can vouch for the fact that it most certainly is. it will bring out the full potential of your equipment, and you will see more detail in the objects you observe, making you feel like you are seeing stuff for the first time all over again.

Thanks for reading all my waffling on

ian

Dark sky sites are great, aren't they? i had a foray into a very dark site earlier this year and it was an extremely memorable experience, needing to be repeated as soon as the car has had its service....

It's hard going back to observing in your own garden though!!

Im always cautious of Dark sky sights think its because im a big jessie to be honest. Would love to set the scope up at one as i have street lights at the end of my garden. And the odd occasion i get asked to go along with someone im always blooming busy with the kids or Mrs

Archived