NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I would like a new Mount ideal for Astrophotography

stem1989

My Budget is £1000 for the mount, I currently use an EQ3-2 with motor drives which works for 30-60 second exposures but Im looking at getting a serious mount for my astrophotography, any suggestions from anyone? Would be very grateful, looking to do as much research as possible before hand so I thought I would start here :)

Standard answer: EQ6 or HEQ5, for later guiding get the goto option.

Just there are quite a number of reports of Synta (Skywatcher+Celestron) electronics and handset problems. Which would make me cautious.

Think there is a new one around that manages both EQ and Alt/Az that a few people have, not sure of the cost. Search the FLO site.

Meade had a new one but I thing they had a problem and are updating LX80 or something.

There are others but cost of many are way over £1000. Have a look at the TS site for Mounts.

Ditto. NEQ6. Don't worry about the hand-set. I've used mine less than ten times over two years. You'll be at computer control and EQMOD in no time and that's when you put it in the drawer and take it out when you sell the mount.

On a serious note, nothing beats the price-performance of the NEQ6. Get a used one and save some cash. Even if you buy a brand new one it may be in need of a slight tweak (bearing tension and worm-gear adjustment to mention the easiest ones).

Go, go, go!

/per

With your small(ish) Mak-Cass and refractor an HEQ5 would be fine - however you should consider "futureproofing" yourself so maybe an EQ6 would be the better choise? Personally I use an HEQ5 for my 120mm SW Evostar APO and a piggy-backed ST80 guide scope. I'm just about at the limit with cameras etc attached but the whole set-up works well. If you go for these mounts then I would seriously consider getting the Syntrek versions as these can be upgraded via EQMOD (freeware) if you have a laptop available (a lappy costs less than the goto upgrade kit!!) and will give you far more functionality than the SW goto system. It also makes guiding a simple task should you wish to use it.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think the NEQ6 will be future proof for now, I could get a HEQ5 for my current scopes but I plan on buying a much better Deep space scope next year. and if I decide to go with a guiding system which I have never tried to do before at least the options there :D

NEQ-6 is the best choice unless you double your budget. There is a significant gap in the mount range above 1000£.

I'd go further than that. I'd say it's the best mount till you more than treble your budget, quite honestly. There's nothing I know of before the Losmandy G11 that would tempt me and if I went that far I'd go the extra mile for a Mesu Mount 200.

Olly

I'd go further than that. I'd say it's the best mount till you more than treble your budget, quite honestly. There's nothing I know of before the Losmandy G11 that would tempt me and if I went that far I'd go the extra mile for a Mesu Mount 200.

Olly

What does the mesu go for anyway?

4400£ - no wonder the price wasn't displayed up front :p

This gives the wrong impression. In my opinion what Lucas Mesu has done is the equivalent of offering an EQ6 at £300. Credit where it's due. Here is a mount on which you could quite seriously put a 17 inch Plane Wave (say that quickly!!!) and image for a year without dropping a sub. Given that the only possible competition comes in at two to three times the price Lucas has blown the competition into the weeds. Maybe he doesn't put the price up front because it would say 'this mount takes on the Losmandy G11' when what it really takes on is the Paramount. (Robotic imagers will go for the Paramount but I'm the robot around here.)

I do this a lot and I have only ever used one mount which just did it, every time, for hundreds of hours and counting, with no issues whatever no adjusting, no nothing. I paid more for my Takahashi mount. I won't make that mistake twice, trust me. (By the way, the Mesu in question isn't mine so I'm not playing the proud dad here so much as the jealous sibling!! :grin: )

Olly

This gives the wrong impression. In my opinion what Lucas Mesu has done is the equivalent of offering an EQ6 at £300. Credit where it's due. Here is a mount on which you could quite seriously put a 17 inch Plane Wave (say that quickly!!!) and image for a year without dropping a sub. Given that the only possible competition comes in at two to three times the price Lucas has blown the competition into the weeds. Maybe he doesn't put the price up front because it would say 'this mount takes on the Losmandy G11' when what it really takes on is the Paramount. (Robotic imagers will go for the Paramount but I'm the robot around here.)

I do this a lot and I have only ever used one mount which just did it, every time, for hundreds of hours and counting, with no issues whatever no adjusting, no nothing. I paid more for my Takahashi mount. I won't make that mistake twice, trust me. (By the way, the Mesu in question isn't mine so I'm not playing the proud dad here so much as the jealous sibling!! :grin: )

Olly

I wholeheartedly agree. It's just that 4000£ is still a lot of money. Money I wish I had, but then I'd need a permanent dark site and a bigger OTA than a 6" newton, so god knows what the final price tag will be :D

Archived