Can you see the lagoon nebula with the SW 200p? (with a 25 or 10 mm eyepiece?)

As said above you can. It's bright and easy to spot but it's a summer object.

It appears somewhat low in the south so it may be a bit tricky up in the UK but here in Portugal it's an easy object. As any other nebula, it won't show in red like the pictures but you'll notice hints of stucture, specially with the aid of an OIII filter. Maybe with an UHC as well, but I only have the OIII so I can't garantee that.

It does stay pretty low even during summer. All of Sagittarius does really. If you've got houses or trees to your south you may struggle to see it.

Thats my understanding.Sagittarius is always very low down even during summer in the Northern hemisphere.

Would i be correct in assuming that it is more of an equatorial constellation?

The Sombrero is quite visible, though small. Start with your 25mm to find it and then try the 10mm to frame it nicely.

Here is a little sketch I did using a 10" and a 14mm eyepiece. It doesn't look very different in an 8".

med_gallery_18573_480_1338790560_17430.jpg

Thats my understanding.Sagittarius is always very low down even during summer in the Northern hemisphere.

Would i be correct in assuming that it is more of an equatorial constellation?

Sagittarius is between about 20 and 40 deg south - so at London´s latitude of 51.5 N you can´t quite see all of it. I am at 37 N and get a much better view.

Archived