Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A step-up in the refractor market.

I have a couple of scopes but both are achromats and so limited in some respects, so I have been thinking about an upgrade - still want a refractor and still want it to be f5/f6/f7 and I was wondering what would be a meaningful step up? I know that I cannot afford an apo (£500 budget only :embarrassed:), so have been looking at scopes with ED elements (but still doublets).

I am not particularly interested in the Skywatcher ED as the focal ratio is too long for me. To put it bluntly I want what I have but better versions :smiley:

My present scopes are a Skywatcher Startravel 120 and a Skywatcher 102 guidescope see here and here.

Any suggestions gratefully received

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my ED120 (F/7.5) but I fear even the older ones would be just beyond your budget at around £600 or so for a used one.

When you say "meaningful step up" what is it you are after / want to achieve with it ?

That is an interesting question John, and to be honest I am not sure what I want - clearly I am after a scope with reduced colour fringing and improved optics. My main aims with astronomy are imaging the moon, the sun and I want to develop my interests in DSO's (again imaging, not visual as my eyes aren't that good)

But there is also something inside me that also says 'I want to own something a bit better than I have at present'. Is that bad or what? :smiley:

....But there is also something inside me that also says 'I want to own something a bit better than I have at present'. Is that bad or what? :smiley:

Nothing wrong with that at all - I'm sure that motivates many of us :smiley:

I'm not an imager so others will offer better advice that I can with that in mind. Your budget could get you a 4" ED doublet, especially if you don't mind a used one. The Skywatcher ED100's are optically excellent but a little on the "slow" side for imaging although a focal reducer can be used successfully I believe.

Yes, I don't know what you see as wrong with the ED80. WIth reducer the F ratio is not too bad at all and the optics punch way beyond their price weight. I can't think of a small DS imaging scope to compare with it.

As John says, the ED 4 inch is also a killer but, even reduced, is on the slow side for imaging. For visual I'd choose the 100, for imaging the 80.

Olly

Thanks guys, your comments are all very useful. I have to say I was looking more at some this like this, but you have set me thinking in a slightly different direction now :smiley:

Edit

Sorry link didn't work as it should, try this

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4650_TS-PHOTOLINE-80mm-f-7-ED-APO-with-3--Crayford-Focuser.html

Try looking around for a used ED80 they do come up from time to time and the money you save can improve the focuser if it hasn't been done already.

Also as an aside, what mount are you using as the mount is even more important in some respects than the optics ?

TS have a good selection of refractors, an upgrade is not that easy to identify, better optics and aperture mean expense. The nearest I could suggest is there 102mm f/7 ED at 730 Euro so it is about £600.

That would give a good aperture and the ED glass for good colour correction and at f/7 it is not pushing the limits of the optics so colour correction should be good.

TS 102

Another is an 80mm f/7 at 461 Euro about £370-380

TS 80

I suspect given other postings of Richard's recently that it would be a bonus if it were possible to reach focus with a DSLR for imaging the Moon in a single frame, and if the same were possible for the Sun with his Herschel wedge in the optical train.

Or is that a grail you have given up on finding, Richard?

James

I suspect given other postings of Richard's recently that it would be a bonus if it were possible to reach focus with a DSLR for imaging the Moon in a single frame, and if the same were possible for the Sun with his Herschel wedge in the optical train.

Or is that a grail you have given up on finding, Richard?

James

No, still looking James :grin:

No, couldn't afford that at the time, so went for the LUNT, which appeared to be far less bulky and considerably cheaper, especially from Teleskop Express in Germany. Extremely fine service from them by the way - ordered it earkly on a Monday and it was marked as despatched the same evening, and then it arrived on the Thursday. They seem very organised out there.

Archived